• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

positraction

robert97xj

NAXJA Forum User
What's the best/cheapest way to get rear positraction? and, how will this affect tire wear/handling. Facts: 97 xj 4.0l, 8.25, 2"BB(rusty), Soon 31X10.5, should I anticipate tire rub?

For a '97 with 29 spl 8.25, you really only have 2 choices as far as a posi (limit slip) TAD goes. Either a Trac Loc or an Auburn.

I grenaded a Trac Loc on mild trails. I replaced it with an Auburn.

Ivan

"Positraction" is actually a General Motors trade name for one of their old 60s-era limited slip differentials. What you're looking for is a limited slip diff.

The "best" LSD for your axle is the Auburn. The cheapest is the Dana Trac-Lok, which is also the same unit that the factory offered as an option. The Auburn is more aggressive, probably a bit stronger housing -- and costs about twice as much. Also, the Trac-Lok is rebuildable when the clutches wear out, and I believe the Auburn is not.

A 2" budget boost is probably not enough lift to run 31" tires on a '97. Expect the tires to hit the rear flares when you go over bumps, even on the street. This will be worse if you run aftermarket rims with less backspacing than OEM.

Though the Auburn is not rebuildable by the "average Joe", Auburn does have an exchange program where you send them your old unit, they send you back a factory rebuilt unit for about $85.

Details are on their website... http://auburngear.com/aftermarket/drex/

Ivan

robert97xj said:
What's the best/cheapest way to get rear positraction? and, how will this affect tire wear/handling. Facts: 97 xj 4.0l, 8.25, 2"BB(rusty), Soon 31X10.5, should I anticipate tire rub?

If you have the AAL in the rear, 31's will clear on the street. You will get most of your rubbing in the front on the Lower Control Arms and maybe on the fender flares. It depends if you plan on using the OEM wheels or aftermarket with less back spacing, which pulls the tire away form the hub.

I have a Dana trak-loc in my 8.25 rear axle and a Detroit True-trak in the front. The Detroit is fantastic compared to the factory style trak-loc. Most of my traction comes from the front now. The detroit wasn't available for the 8.25 when I installed them. I'd spend the extra $150 and get the detroit. I have heard really good things about the auburn gear LS.

Back