• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will 85 2.5 904 trans bolt to 350 Chev?

Shameless

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked all over the web and keep getting contradictory information. I've found several forums/sites that say it has same bolt pattern, and others said it changed in 84. I was just given an 85 Cherokee 2.5 with a hole in a piston, and have a 350 itching for a home. I've heard it's on the weak side and I can beef up the tranny but at the moment I just want to get it mobile.

Well I guess I prob found my best answer in wikipedia if it is correct. Looking at chevy bolt patterns the 80-83 I-4 was iron duke with regular chevy pattern. After that it shows a gm metric pattern that amc also used. I guess I'll be hunting a th400 or 700r4. Brother in law says he has a T case I can have. I'll post progress later.

I suspect because AMC was so thrifty, that the 2.5L bolt pattern is the same as the GM 2.8L used between 85 and 86, which is a GM standard, but not a GM V8 Bolt pattern.

you are correct. The AMC 2.5L is not the same as the Iron Duke used in CJ's previously. It uses the GM 60 degree V6 bolt pattern bellhousing. It was the same until it was replaced with the 2.4L motor at some point in the TJ's production run.

A 3.4L V6 would be a good swap option

I already have the 350engine, so it looks like I'm gonna use it and the th350 it came with and swap out the output shaft. Another friend came up with a 75 1/2 ton with no motor and transmission but has the t-case and axles he says I can have cheap. So maybe its going to end up with a complete running gear swap.

Back