• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about my tires.

Dallas45kn

NAXJA Forum User
I just got these Wrangler tires and i feel like there was something that looked weird about them.
When i got home form Discount tire i looked them up online and all of the tires pictured had the tread going the opposite way.
I wanted to make sure i was correct about my tires being put on wrong before i go back to Discount and tell them to flip them over.

There are definitely "directional specific" tires. Usually there is an actual <--- arrow on the sidewall indicating the correct rotation. But if the tires are just regular tires (Goodyear Wranglers) the difference is that they were mounted with the white lettering either facing inside or outside. IIRC Goodyear Wranglers mount either way.

There is also the possibility that the image on-line is a reversed photo image, but other than that, I dunno.

There was a local discussion recently concerning the GY Wrangler MTR w/kevlar being directional. The original poster stated that he believed that the tire rotation was wrong causing vibrations due to tread design when the lettering was facing inward. Having the white lettering facing inward or outward makes no difference. The only differences I have observed is how much weight is needed to balance the tire due to the way the tire plies are assembled the rubber is molded.

For some reason the picture didn't show up on my last post..
Does this look correct?
ill also check for the arrow tomorrow morning.

Do you have a link to the picture you are talking about?

You can't really have a directional tire with white lettering on one side and not the other (and visa versa) without having a right specific tire and a left specific tire. Directional tires can be mounted on either right or left side because both sidewalls are usually identical.

Yeah here it is
GoodYear Wrangler MTR with Kevlar

Heh, your pics still don't work. Are they these?
gdyvm3.ang.jpg

Even though they don't appear to have the same tread pattern when turning in either direction, they don't seem to be directional tires. I think you are going to have a hard time getting the tire shop to "turn them around".

The mtrk looks like a directional tread pattern, however Goodyear does not make lefts and rights.
The tires most certainly are asymmetric.

Asymetric trumps directional in this case

The mtr-k tires are absolutely asymmetrical tires, and most likely should be mounted a specific way. The tire might have inside or outside instead of a directional arrow printed on the sidewall. I would check the sidewalls to be sure.

"Innovative asymmetric tread design helps provide aggressive off-road traction and enhanced handling on the road" Goodyear website.

"An asymmetric pattern is designed to blend the requirements of dry grip and water dispersal/snow traction where the tread pattern changes across the face of the tire. An asymmetric tread pattern usually incorporates larger tread ribs/blocks on the outboard side to increase cornering stability on dry roads by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder. The inboard side usually features smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns." tirerack.com website

So, larger ribs/blocks outboard, smaller ribs/blocks inboard.

I wonder if you have to order white letter OR black letter tires then. Can't have it both ways...

Black Magic Marker?

Heh, your pics still don't work. Are they these?
gdyvm3.ang.jpg

Even though they don't appear to have the same tread pattern when turning in either direction, they don't seem to be directional tires. I think you are going to have a hard time getting the tire shop to "turn them around".

Yes those are them
but they are the other way around

The mtr-k tires are absolutely asymmetrical tires, and most likely should be mounted a specific way. The tire might have inside or outside instead of a directional arrow printed on the sidewall. I would check the sidewalls to be sure.

Thank you
This answered my question

Yes those are them
but they are the other way around

Ah. well it seems from what the rest of the people have said here, they may be mounted incorrectly. Did you check the sidewalls and do they indeed say "outside" or "inside"? I think you do have a chance of getting them turned around then. Good luck!

Back