• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case swap question.

chev632

NAXJA Forum User
First off I used the search and couldn't find an answer specific enough. I have a 1995 XJ 2 door, 4.0ho, AX-15 manual, np231 that needs a new transfer case. I have a 1996 XJ np231 attached to an aw4 automatic along with driveshafts that I got with it when I bought it. My question is will the replacement be a direct swap or will I have to swap input shafts to make it fit the manual? I know that the outputs are different too but I have the driveshafts also so that should be fine, right? Thanks in advance for any help.

Be certain, in any interchange situation, that you select the right length of input gear for the factory style transmission being used; e.g., a long input gear against an AX15 (usually requiring a short input gear) will cause interference at the end of the splines and put damaging thrust pressures on the transmission mainshaft and transfer case input gear.

The above is a quote for the Novak sight...
The AW4 input gear is a medium and the AX15 is a short.
When in doubt verify the length.

The important variations to look for in the 231 transfer case are in the input gear. The 231 comes in 21 spline and 23 spline versions with long, medium (rare) and short variations.
The long shafts protrude 2.1" from the front mounting face of the transfer case. The short version protrudes 1.2". The rare medium shaft protrudes 1.7". You should be careful when swapping any of these gears due to different bearing widths and gear teeth. The following chart shows how to determine which input gear you might have by transmission. It is always recommended to verify first hand if possible.

Because of differences in the cut of the gear, as a general rule, one should not interchange 1987-1993 gears with 1994-present gears. These years are not always hard and fast delineations. If one is not absolutely certain, dis-assembly and inspection is required. Note that some transmissions change spline count. The Peugeot BA10/5 had both 21 or 23 splines. The AW4 had 21 splines through 1990. In 1991 (the same year the 4.0 HO was introduced) the AW4 splines increased to 23.

*from the internet*

Back