• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 cherokee alt swap

csanderlin

NAXJA Forum User
i need to know will a alt from a 98 grand v8 will work on my cherokee someone stole my alt and starter and all brackets when i was doing a engine swap so i got to figer out what brackets will work and what not , the alt i pulled was 3470 or 8647

I don't recognize those part numbers but, for a 2000, I don't think a '98 ZJ alt will work. The wiring on the back changed. If you had a current 2000 alt you could switch the connections over but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

As far as brackets go, you need XJ brackets (I know '97-'01 will work, probably earlier will too) unless you're looking to move things around, in which case you'll have to do your own research on what works and what doesn't.

If you do some searching for 136 amp alt, and 160 amp alt you'll get some results on alternators that swap in for you're year. I don't have the part numbers saved.

The 2000 alternator has the voltage regulator in the ECM, earlier models were in the alternator. Brackets are 99 and up as the intake manifold changed from the earlier log style to the curved runner design.

The 2000 alternator has the voltage regulator in the ECM, earlier models were in the alternator. Brackets are 99 and up as the intake manifold changed from the earlier log style to the curved runner design.
IIRC the voltage regulator was in the ECM earlier than '00.
My '98 has the voltage regulator inside the ECM.
The DelcoRemy alternators were internally regulated, but correct me if I am wrong; aren't all the newer style alternators externally regulated.

Iirc Your jeep runs the denso externally regulated alt.

I would get a bracket and alt at the junk yard from a donor Xj .

Or get the donor xj bracket and grind it to fit a 150 amp durango alt , and upgrade te wiring mains to handle the new alt . That is what I run in my 01.

When i got my donor xj aluminum (i think) alt bracket I also found a front steel brace for the alt. my xj did not previously have .

I don't know about Renix models, but from 91 up the alts are regulated by the PCM.

When i got my donor xj aluminum (i think) alt bracket I also found a front steel brace for the alt. my xj did not previously have .
The aluminum bracket mounts on the block, the steel one in front of the timing cover.

Back