• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find XJ Antenna Grommet?

Green Mesa XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 85 XJ's radio antenna grommet, the rubber seal that keep water out around the kick pannel, crumbled to dust when I pulled it.

Where the heck do I find another one?

From the parts catalog it was part of the base assembly.
it should be the same part all the way to 1996, antenna base w/cable part number
5600 0282 / 56000282AB now discontinued.

the power mast is still around (56003151), I don't need power mast (or to pay $100 for the privilege) but the grommet should be the same.
Would the 1997 -2001 Cherokees have a similar grommet? I was thinking so since it was the same frame essentially.
Is there an aftermarket solution? So far the antenna kits I've seen lack the grommet.

Being the cheap SOB that I am...

I picked up two at the junkyard...for free. They were a tad faded, so I painted them matte black.

Cost = $1.00 for "admission" to the yard.(the junkyard has a "pocket" policy, except on sensors).

Paint = $0.00 (I had a can laying around)

Good looking grommet with a nice new finish = Priceless

Better than $100 or even $25, like I said I'm cheap and have more time than money.

The Aftermarket didn't have the grommet, which is ok since the factory antenna mast and mount is no longer available its a good part to have any way.

Got a used grommet off a 97 up XJ and it was not near big enough, which answers the question I had about that. The Yard I hit had some of the newer xj but the older ones were pretty much picked over.

Guess its a junk yard scavenging trip, or pay for the power antenna.

Got a used grommet off a 97 up XJ and it was not near big enough, which answers the question I had about that.

I ran into the same problem. Whatever you do don't just plug in the "too small" one and ignore it. My solution was to slather RTV around the opening, install the "too small" grommet and tape it into place until it hardened. Unfortunately, my first attempt was to simply shove it into the hole thinking "it will be fine" and at the first rain I found out the hard way that this is the primary route for rain to run off the windscreen so it filled my passenger side up with water:shiver:

Back