• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Shifter Knob

hammer3198

NAXJA Forum User
When I removed the center console to install my Novak transfer case shifter I broke off my transmission (AX-15) shifter knob. It sheared the metal right at the bottom of the threads on the shifter handle.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a working shifter knob back on the handle?

Thanks

Either use a theading die to rethread the tip, or use something like a newer Ford pressfit knob.
If you can weld you could also just weld a bolt to the shaft.

Just cut it off and build a cooler shifter.

2wqqu7p.jpg

parts stores have slip on shifters that are held in place by set screws

replace the shifter, it comes off easily. there is a collar at the base of the shifter, push it down and turn it then the whole thing comes out of the trans. all you need to do is find another ax15 at the junkyard.

looks like this:

IMG_20110826_140645.jpg

IMG_20110826_140705.jpg

replace the shifter, it comes off easily. there is a collar at the base of the shifter, push it down and turn it then the whole thing comes out of the trans. all you need to do is find another ax15 at the junkyard.

That's a good time to change trans fluid too. It's easier than laying underneath and pouring through the fill hole...but I'm lazy.

Back