• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch wiring repair?

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
in the process of repairing broken wires in the rear lift hatch of my 2000 Cherokee, there is a bundle of wires that are all color coded except two 18 gauge black wires ( not the ones for the defrost) and I cant tell which wire goes to which plug, any advise is much appreciated

I bought a used harness a while ago so I could repair that one and swap it in. If you don't have help by Wednesday I can snap some pictures of my harness for reference (I'd do it now but I'm out at work about 475km form my Garage)

got it all figured out, turns out that the solid black strands of wire are grounds and go to the same place so it doesn't matter, there is 2 18 gauge wires and 1 12 gauge wire that are solid black for ground

new problem, when I try to activate the washer/pump it blows the fuse, so something's doing something it shouldn't, I have the harness out and stripped and everything is were it should be as far as I can tell, should I take apart the harness for the rear hatch? what should I check? the wiper motor didn't work but you could hear a click before now nothing (new motor) and it keeps blowing fuses, any ideas?

Check continuity of the wires, work with a helper and have them wiggle the harness as you check. If your are blowing fuses, you have a short circuit somewhere.

checked the wires for continuity and my refurbished rear harness is fine, but testing the wires in the driver side panel behind the spare and the brown wire with the green tracer tested positive for continuity, its my understanding that this wire goes to power the motor? so the break is from the rear harness behind the spare to the switch up front but where could it be? any one have a problem like this before?

Back