• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98XJ 4.0 No start

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
was working great took two back to back trips up into Leadville and Vail the last two weekends. Wife's stock jeep. And she drove it around a few days no problem. Drove it around town for a few things came home, and was leaving and no start. Cranks but wont go. Fuel pressure was 40 41 electrical looked good. Popped the distributor cap looked ok cleaned up the points but not getting a spark. could this be the crank position sensor? If so is this one of those better get it at Jeep dealer kind of parts or Napa? need to get her jeep back on the road again.

And if it is the CPS any write ups. I see old mans on the no start but was hoping for a bit more on the CPS.

Try unplugging/replugging the CPS connector.

TEST:

Disconnect the CPS connector.

Ohm meter, set to 1k to 10k ohm scale, measure the resistance between B and C--SHOULD READ OPEN. If there is low resistance, replace the cps.

DEALER CPS is recommended.

1. Could very well be the crank sensor, but my experience is that testing is not always conclusive. But I'd do it anyways using information from Joe above. If you replace, definitely replace with a Mopar sensor. Aftermarket crank sensors are very "hit and miss" with a lot of miss. I've found aftermarket sensors that are electrically good, but the spacing of the sensor is off and as this is a hall effect sensor, if the spacing isn't correct, the sensor is not going to work.

2. Also test your ignition coil for both primary and secondary resistances per manual.

3. As an outside chance, swap the ASD relay under the hood in the power distribution center with a different non-critical relay. All relays are of the same part number so swapping is not a problem.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ok I'll do that test tomorrow We just spent 30 min in the basement due to a Tornado warning major hail and rain storm.

I did swap the relays under the hood around and none of them did the trick.

I called the dealer and they have to order it and would be $88 bucks DANG!

due to the storm and helping my parents clean up I just now got the crank sensor but don't have a diagram of were this thing plugs into. Crawled under the jeep and i'm blind because I don't see where this thing is at.

The CPS mounts in the driver's side upper area of the bellhousing, the harness runs up and to the right along the firewall and the connector should be on the right or passenger's side of the engine.

On a '98 XJ model year the CPS connector is attached to the intake manifold. It is
fastened down by the fuel rail stud, on the runner the feeds the #6 cylinder.

well that was the problem got the part in. not much room to work these fat hands in a small area but I got it in and it cranked over and all's well now. thanks guys.

Back