• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolts needed for engine stand

xjrick94

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to swap the motor out of my 94. Before I do so i'd like to get my motor on a stand to replace the gaskets and clean it up a bit. I did a search but found a few conflicting answers on the bolts needed to bolt the engine to the stand.

If it matters the motor going in is out of a 96 xj 4.0. The one coming out is a 94 4.0

The bolt info that i found is:
top bolts: 3/8"x16
lower bolts: 7/16-14
Also saw lower: m10x1.5

Thanks

I am getting ready to swap the motor out of my 94. Before I do so i'd like to get my motor on a stand to replace the gaskets and clean it up a bit. I did a search but found a few conflicting answers on the bolts needed to bolt the engine to the stand.

If it matters the motor going in is out of a 96 xj 4.0. The one coming out is a 94 4.0

Thanks

What stand are you planning on using? The reason I ask is that stands differ somewhat in the length of the bolt extensions for each attach point.

If you could, mesure the inside diameter of the bolt extensions and the length of the extension, from the main support plate to their ends.

I'll try and get pics of my stand and the spacers I used inside the bolt extensions. And the length of the bolts I used.

The amount of bolt thread extending beyound the end of the bolt extension is critical. You need to torque the bolts to 40 ft. lbs. as well.

I can buy several different length bolts and use the ones that work best but my main concearn is getting the right size and thread.

I pulled my engine this week and put it on a stand. Lower bolts I reused and upper bolts I'm changing out today or tomorrow. I can verify the top bolts when I go to the hardware store.

Camera malfunctioned so no pics of my stand at this time.

However, here's a pic of substitute mount bolts. Dim's are on the pic. Note that the pic says "1988-1996" XJ; that's what the catalogs say, but in real life, these bolt diameters, thread pitch, and lengths, are used up to 1999 (and maybe to '00/'01). You won't be using these length bolts. On your stand, use bolts that will not extend beyond the bolt extensions as follows:

Upper bolts - 1/2" +/- 1/16"

Lower bolts - 1" +/- 1/16"

Use washers under the heads of the bolts only as required to maintain these dimensions. Bolts protruding to far may break the bolt hole/bosses on the engine.

Use Grade 8 bolts.

Edit: Torque bolts to 40 ft.lbs.

Additional Edit in red.

Visio-bolts-Page-1.jpg

Last edited:
If for some reason you're still uncertain. I'm back from the hardware store and I can verify Sidewinder's numbers. My stand has a 2" extension. For the upper I went with 3/8"-16 x 2 1/2" and added a washer. Lower used the existing bolts.

Thanks

The 6-242 uses SAE screws, so forget about the M10s.

Measure the lengths of the sleeves on your stand. To the upper, add 3/8". Get that length of screw (go UP to the next quarter-inch if you're between.)

Same with the lower - adding 7/16", instead of 3/8".

Easy!

Thanks for the replies. I bought the books yesterday before reading most of these.

Top bolts: 3/8"-16 4" long
Lower bolts: 7/16"-14 3.5"long
IMG_20130802_200102_468_zps8095cba3.jpg
IMG_20130802_200047_527_zpsc6092d65.jpg

For future reference - the threads are right, the length you need will vary according to the construction of the engine stand. Use the method I outlined to properly secure your engine block - optimal grip strength is when you have 1d to 1.5d of thread engagement, with d being the nominal diameter of the fastener.

More than 1.5d engagement won't hurt anything, it simply results in a bit of metal being "along for the ride." Too much isn't a problem, too little can be!

Back