• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 code madness!

Alboy97XJ

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
97 Xj aw4... So when I check codes on the dash I keep getting a 21 which is o2 related... I replace both sensors and still has the code... So my issue started last week on Fordyce... My buddy threw a rod in the first water crossing and I had to tow him back to staging area which is nasty terrain to tow a Yj on 40's... I even went through the crossing with no issues... So I'm towing him out and jeep is running fine... A bit hot but fine... Then all of a sudden my jeep just starts running like crap at idle and under throttle unless its alot of throttle... If I shut off the jeep and start it right back on it runs fine for a min or two but goes right back to crap... So needless to say I had to stop all the time and restart all the way back to the staging area... It started doing so while I was winching a lot... I was giving winching breaks but I had the voltage light come on a few hard pulls and wondering if I could fried something? I'd turn winch off and the voltage would go back to normal though... Also while all this was happening when I would somtimes try and pull him my trans would just slip which was bothering me also...Fluid was full and clean also cuz I checked... It would slip in forward gear and most of the time in reverse...

It's home and I've been working on it and replaced both o2s and still runs like crap... My obd2 port is being stupid and won't read so I'm just checking codes from the dash.... I was just messing with it and the trans was slipping yet again in reverse in 4lo... I also changed the fluid incase water was in it which wasnt the case it was clean... Any ideas? I really need to figure out the obd2 port not reading which ill do tomorrow... Thanks in advance for any ideas!

1. Don't trust the "dash codes"--96 OBDI was the last for that, although some early 97s may still give some data. Get a reader or a scanner, or have the codes read at the auto parts store for free.

2. Unplug the CPS, then see if the data port will link--IF IT DOES, the CPS is shorted and needs to be replaced.

You shorted out the o2 circuit when you went through the water and blew the mini o2 fuse in the pdc?

The O2S Heaters fuse is shown in this pic.

Don't trust your eyes when checking to see if a fuse is good, use an Ohmmeter to check it or simply replace it.

1997-1999XJPDCannotated.jpg

Well fixed the ground for the o2 and ran codes... Po132 is the code... The o2 sensor was new right before the Fordyce trip and I replaced it again last night.... Both up and down stream o2 r brand new yesterday... I inspected wiring to find one issue and I repaired the wiring... It's running now just waiting to get warm and see if it runs bad...

Still running like poo.... I'm going to redo the wiring for the front o2 from the injector rail all the way down to the plug

The plug on the o2 didn't look to great so I took that out and attached wires and so far so good... I have an app in an hour to get the alignment done so ill have them plug in to make sure o2 be working

Back