• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll pin found in oil adapter housing

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
Buddy of mine came by tonight to change oil and do some other work. When he pulled the filter he found a sheared roll pin laying in the bottom of the aluminum oil filter adapter housing. After head scratching and tearing apart an old pump I had laying around (no roll pin there) we figure out that he had sheared off the roll pin that locates the aluminum housing to the block.

Turns out that when he was installing new motor mounts the bolt wouldnt clear the filter or the stem that goes inside the filter (after removing the filter). So he took a hammer and rotated the aluminum housing (shearing of the pin). The pin found its way into the pump to filter passage, went into the filter and then fell out when he changed the filter, landing inside the aluminum housing. This also explains the oil leak on the passenger side of the block.

Anyhow if you see a roll pin in the filter adapter housing thats where it came from.

John

That's better than the other rollpin that came to my mind - Distributor drive gear.
Had one of those rollpins fail on Georgetown hill on I70 on my 87. 2nd gear, 4500 rpm. Had it towed to my job, got it back running and the engine didn't last 100 miles before it ate a rod :( or 3

That's better than the other rollpin that came to my mind - Distributor drive gear.
I don't think that would make it through the pickup screen, through the oil pump and into the filter.

Back