• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headed to the junkyard

Lucky2BAlive

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I'm headed to pull-a-part to get a few things. What are some things to be on the look out there to do some mods on the XJ? Brackets, vents, fans, from different vehicles? anything hard to find? Anything expensive? Etc.

Help me out if you can.

Thanks

Overhead console. I was previously under the impression that they were only on Limited models, but I found a Sport on my last trip that was equipped. If you do this, grab the wiring harness (as it's what's really important) - it runs down the passenger side A-pillar. Take a small pry bar if you don't want to properly disassemble the whole dashboard. Also grab the temperature probe, which is connected to the end of a wiring harness dead smack in the middle of the front bulkhead (just behind the front bumper). Temp sensors from ZJs will work as well. The support bracket will likely be riveted to the roof, so look for an earlier model XJ with an OHC as well and steal its bracket (identical aside from orientation and attachment - it's screwed on, and oriented backwards compared to the 97+) if you don't take a drill with you.

If you want to tear into transfer cases, look for some NP241C's (GM/Chevy part-time transfer cases) and grab their 6-pinion planetaries and wide chain parts (front and rear chain sprockets particularly). This is something I've been putting off because I'm lazy.

Look for police model 97+ XJs as well, as they'll have the 4-switch console bezel (between the cigarette lighter/power ports on the center console) and the Extended Idle switch. The 4-switch bezel fetches a pretty penny these days ($100 just about everywhere I've seen).

If you know lots of of local XJ wheelers, snag a few front driveshafts for shits and grins.

Back