• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to Manual?

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been gone over a few times but I'll ask the question again...just like it reads...how hard is it to go from auto to manual. I know whats involved with the actual swap of hard parts but living in California I need to make sure my CEL is off. How does it work with the wiring harness and having the auto not hooked up work out the the PCM?

Thing is I've got a 87 pile of misery right now. I can't seem to find a 4x4 manual thats a decent price but really clean 70 or 80k autos are dime a dozen over here...so I was thinking of taking my AX-15, tcase, axles, lift...blah blah blah and doing the swap. My other option is I found a 2wd 5 speed and doing a 4x4 swap on that. Any ideas?

Not a very difficult swap actually. Just depends on what year rig for the check engine light concerns. 96 and earlier are pretty easy with the PCM. As I learned recently 97 and newer rigs don't much like the removal of the TCM and you will have issues with the PCM setting fault codes.

Can I use all the stock wiring harness with the TCM removed but a manual pcm installed?

I'm thinking a 2wd to 4x4 swap is less head ache then a auto to manual swap.

Can I use all the stock wiring harness with the TCM removed but a manual pcm installed?

I'm thinking a 2wd to 4x4 swap is less head ache then a auto to manual swap.

I did an auto to manual conversion on my 96. I just removed the TCM, and ran the neutral saftey switch to my clutch interlock switch.

If you are going for a late model XJ then the 2wd to 4wd swap would be pretty straight forward.

I know this has been gone over a few times but I'll ask the question again...just like it reads...how hard is it to go from auto to manual. I know whats involved with the actual swap of hard parts but living in California I need to make sure my CEL is off. How does it work with the wiring harness and having the auto not hooked up work out the the PCM?

Thing is I've got a 87 pile of misery right now. I can't seem to find a 4x4 manual thats a decent price but really clean 70 or 80k autos are dime a dozen over here...so I was thinking of taking my AX-15, tcase, axles, lift...blah blah blah and doing the swap. My other option is I found a 2wd 5 speed and doing a 4x4 swap on that. Any ideas?

If you do an 87-90 swap there are no CELs.

I did the swap just recently and I have a 92 4.0 now with the ax15, used to be an AW4. All I did was bypass the nss by bridging the park wires and I have zero lights on the dash. No check engine light or maintenance required light. Engine still works flawlessly. In theory will pass inspection.....once I get my reverse lights to show up :p

4 wheel drive swap is fairly simple, especially if you have everything you need.
What year is the 2wd/5spd? Runs and drives? Do you know if it has the 2wd beam that uses the bearings/stub shafts, or the older spindle setup? I'm looking for parts to get my MJ going. Maybe we can work out a deal with parts or something?

I'm reviving this thread. I've been searching and searching and I found a potential 2000 dark green XJ with black/gray interior that I'm going to look at tomorrow. It's got about 150k and looks clean from the pics. It's an AW4 that I'll be converting to an AX15. Any thoughts or input? If this goes through I'll be sure to do a build thread. This should be interesting...

I am working on a 2000 AX15 swap right now my self. I'm not far along so I'm not much help yet. I'll be watching this thread as I go though.

I hope this Jeep checks out today and the price is right. I'll post a separate thread once I get a Jeep and begin the swap. I don't want to jinx my self! I've been searching and searching. I've passed up about 5 or 6 manual 97 and newer XJs because price/mileage. If this one works out I shouldn't be into it more then a grand or so after I sell my current set up.

For a 2000 you'll need either a PCM from a manual or something to fake all the gadgetry to fool the TCM into thinking the AW4 is still there. IMHO that's the biggest hurdle.

That's a great write up. I've got everything sourced except the pcm. Not sure how I'm going to do this but I'll figure that part out. My Jeep doesn't have SKIM which is nice. Driving home with it now. We'll see how this goes...

20131221_143008.jpg

Well got my pedals in today. Obviously they are wrong but I knew this going into it. They are bran new so I'm going to whore the clutch and brake pedal with the bushings and hardware then swap them to the old bracket like in that pdf swap guide.

20140103_170909.jpg

I did a quick mock up and everything fits and lines up like a dream...except for the contact for the BOO switch.

20140103_171908.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to box this in from scratch or cut abd reuse the metal from the discarded new bracket.

20140103_172111.jpg

Another view of what I need to box in.

20140103_172219.jpg

Not sure if I want to lengthen the clutch push rod or modify the pedal. I'd rather modify the pedal incase I need to replace the master cylinder later on.

20140103_172354.jpg

Any suggestions? Ideas? Anyone done this...?

I also got the factory PCM part number and my proper computer will be here Wednesday with CA emissions and everything. I don't want any CEL issues for smog or what ever.

I have a late model manual pedal box here if you want pictures/dimensions on anything. It's slated for eventual install in my 88 MJ with a late model interior or I'd pass it on to you.

I have a late model manual pedal box here if you want pictures/dimensions on anything. It's slated for eventual install in my 88 MJ with a late model interior or I'd pass it on to you.

Yeah some pictures would be cool, I'm curious what it's suppose to look like. I wish I could get one dimension but it would be damn near impossible to get it consistent with out having both side by side. I'm just wondering what I want to do about the push rod location/length for the clutch. I'd like to mod the pedal so I can drop in replacement master cylinders with out a hassle.

Back