• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which XJ Lift is better suited for me?

440Duster

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone :)

My name is Jeff and I am new to Naxja so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section and for creating another lift thread.

I recently purchased a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport (4.0l, 8 1/4 rearend, Dana 30 front, np231 transfer case, Automatic transmission etc) and have been looking into different lifts for weeks now lol.

When I first brought home the jeep I had visions in my head of going 6.5"+ but after thinking about how I want to use it and what i want from the XJ/Lift I have decided a little lower lift would make more sense.

1. The jeep will be a daily driver (3 days out of the week roughly 42 miles round trip each of the days) so ride comfort is a consideration (it doesn't need to be mercedes smooth but not a kidney buster lol).

2. Mudding, dirt trails, High speed gravel backroad driving must be able to obsorb bumps (think jeepspeed in a sense but tight corners on gravel/muddy roads in middle of no where like rally racing) will be the main driving styles.

3. Must be able to tow a light weight snowmobile trailer with 4 vintage oval race snowmobiles during the racing season.

4. Tires will be no bigger than 33's (most likely 32's)

I don't really see a need for long arm suspension but having the option should I want to would be nice.

I want something I can drive everyday, Fly down back roads with bumps and whoops, and still be able to do some rock crawling if I feel the need to do so.

2 Kits I have pretty much decided on are:

5" RubiconExpress/DPG Extreme duty Hybrid XJ Kit

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/5-inch-rubicon-expressdpg-extreme-duty-hybrid-xj-kit/

Currie Enterprise XJ JOHNNY JOINT® 4 1/2" SUSPENSION SYSTEM FOR 3" REAR AXLE TUBES

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=3506

The one i am more leaning towards is from Currie but I haven't been able to really find reviews on it but seems to be more towards the jeepspeed style which is more towards what I want.

Any advice and or thoughts towards these 2 kits is greatly appreciated or if anyone has some other ideas which would be better for what I want please feel free to suggest what would be better choice.

Thank you all for your time,

Jeffrey

Last edited:
Last edited:
I agree with XJLl. I have that RE kit minus the extreme duty springs and it hasn't changed ever since I installed it three four years ago. Even the control arm bushings are still in great shape. Don't cheap out on the shocks. And you can fit 31s 32s easy with that. Enjoy the excitement of ordering a new suspension! party1:

Here's my take after almost ten years years of ownership and constant upgrading.
Don't go any higher than necessary if it is going to be a DD.
It takes more than a simple suspension kit to run 32" or 33"s.
For a pleasant ride, 4" or more is too high without going to long arms or short arms with dropped brackets.
Gearing really should be changed too if you want it to be fun to drive.
The brakes are not all that effective with tall tires without upgrading.
97+ XJs will have rear drive shaft vibs, at 4" or more, and will need axles shims, as well as a transfer case drop or better still, an SYE kit.

Do make sure to include adjustable upper and lower control arms(with flex-joints), a double shear adjustable track bar and new bump stops.
Budget for skid plates for the gas tank, transfer case, axle lower control arm mounts and differential covers.
The AW4 needs a big transmission cooler.
You will need front and rear tow points. A trailer hitch works fine in the rear.
The steering needs, at a minimum, a stronger tie rod. Do get a steering box brace and/or a C-ROK type plate kit to prevent the frame from being damaged around the steering box bolts.
I have installed a couple of Dirk's DGP kits and like the Old Man Emu springs and shocks.

My 01 XJ is a DD and runs 33 X 10.50s on a 4" lift. It has done well in all sorts of conditions throughout the West. See the signature below.
Have fun and be prepared to spend a lot of time and cash to do it right.

I wanted to thank all of you for your thoughts and opinions and suggestions :) Choosing the right kit for me has been a time consumer and head scratcher.. so many setups, options etc.

I had written a thankyou reply but it didn't get posted and with the hours I work I don't have a lot of time during the week... LOL work..sleep.. repeat :)

Thank You everyone and I hope you don't mind if I post some questions from time to time.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey

Back