• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 replacement

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ and the aw4 transmission in it. I am replacing my tired old aw4 with a minty one from another 98 that only had 50 000km on it.

I have my old one out already and I'm getting ready to bolt the new one in and I'm curious if there's any start up procedures I should follow? I assume fill with oil then run it and top up a few times. Will that refill the torque converter or do I need to burp the system somehow?

Other than making ABSOLUTELY sure that the torque converter has fully engaged the pump BEFORE attempting to bolt the transmission in--failure to do so will damage the torque converter, the pump, or both--I wouldn't worry too much about it. Did you drop the pan of the "new" trans and change the filter? I would do that, then add 4-5 quarts of ATF, then run the engine and check/add as necessary, shifting through the gears in between.

Other than making ABSOLUTELY sure that the torque converter has fully engaged the pump BEFORE attempting to bolt the transmission in--failure to do so will damage the torque converter, the pump, or both--I wouldn't worry too much about it. Did you drop the pan of the "new" trans and change the filter? I would do that, then add 4-5 quarts of ATF, then run the engine and check/add as necessary, shifting through the gears in between.

Sounds good. It will be tricky to get the new transmission up there and the splines aligned properly but I'll be sure to take my time and get it nice and snug before bolting it up.

No I haven't changed the filter yet. Should I do that before I even run it once or should I leave it in and run it through the gears and then drain it and change the filter after? I don't know how long the new transmission sat for after it was pulled. Maybe a year or so?

Any tips on how to make the splines line up on the transmission and the torque converter? Turning the output shaft of the transmission only turns the inner shaft on the front of the transmission and not the outer... It'd e nice to be able to spin both to ensure they're all lined up nicely

One sure-fire method is to stand the transmission on its tail--strap it to an engine hoist--and then turn the torque converter until it "clunks" into place.

If you don't have an engine hoist you will need a couple friends to stand it upright and keep it there while you turn the TC.

Should I have the torque converter seperate from the engine right now? And then install the TC onto the Aw4 before putting it under the Jeep?

I currently have the engine and TC still under the jeep and the transmission is seperate.

Should I have the torque converter seperate from the engine right now? And then install the TC onto the Aw4 before putting it under the Jeep?

I currently have the engine and TC still under the jeep and the transmission is seperate.

You should NEVER, EVER, EVER attempt to put the transmission in with the torque converter attached to the engine--that is the SUREST way to break something.

Good to know.

So now I have the TC out. And I can make it align on the transmission nicely.

When I removed the old aw4, I left the TC in... Could that have damaged anything?

Most likely Ok.

What happens when people have the TC attached to the engine is they CAN'T get the TC to line up and fit into the pump, but they don't realize it and start bolting the transmission up and the damage the TC, the pump, or even the transmission case. Not pretty.

Awesome. It came apart nicely without much grunting so I was pretty sure I was ok.

So right now I have the TC on the transmission and the whole setup is almost onto the engine... There's maybe a 3/16" gap between the transmission housing and the engine. I can't seem to easily wiggle things to close that gap. Is it ok to use the bolts to pull it all together at this point or should I keep wiggling and jiggling until they fit tight?

There's sleeves in 2 of the mounting holes that are what I think is the hold up but they are lined up nicely and almost fitting in.

I got it on there!

Thanks for your help... I probably would have screwed something up if you hadn't mentioned the TC thing... Haha

It ended up going on just fine. One of those sleeves was just a hair out of alignment and I just needed to wiggle it into place. All went smoothly.

Glad you got it done.

Back