• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatch light switch

martin

NAXJA Forum User
I had the interior trim off my tail gate of my 88 XJ. I was trying to figure out how the switch mounted with the latch works so when the hatch it opened the light comes on.

I am wondering if that plastic piece is broken. Right now mine does not work and I have to press the button on the dome light to turn it on.

Does anyone have any tips on servicing this switch?

Thanks

hatch lite sw

Hope the plastic isn't the problem. On my 90 I found that by bending it lightly with a screwdriver it could be straightened out and work right.

Which lasted three weeks.

I now plan to install a door jamb switch in the steel near the strut rod and fix it forever. One less wire into the fiberglass lid and proven technology. (Detroit's better ideas are often based on fast assembly, not durability.)

Funny, when my wife's 90 caravan did this, I got a recall notice for it the next month. I guess better Jeeps really are built, not bought! :D

Back