• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reusing headliner fabric?

MagicNelson

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to reuse the old headliner fabric? Mine is in good shape and I would like to avoid spending $40 on new fabric if I can... All of the threads I found were people completely replacing the fabric and all.

Nope! The foam backer is gone on your headliner and that is what gives it the smooth look and keeps the glue from oozing through the fabric. Just pull the whole board out, rip the junk fabric off, scrub off the old foam and start over. Its easy!

Nope! The foam backer is gone on your headliner and that is what gives it the smooth look and keeps the glue from oozing through the fabric. Just pull the whole board out, rip the junk fabric off, scrub off the old foam and start over. Its easy!

Ditto. I redid mine and with the new fabric the headliner looks brand new. I also went to repairing any tears in the headliner with fiberglass and resin because the rip veryyyyy easily. Plus the resin makes the headliner stiff and easy to bond too. I just went to home depot and found a fiberglass and resin repair kit made by 3M

Thanks for the tips. After tearing out the headliner, I can see why it's not reusable. I had good luck keeping my fiber board in tact when tearing the headliner off. Now I just have to get fabric and decide how to stick the new stuff on. I've heard if people using the 3M spray adhesive and also DAP's weldwood brush on cement. Anybody prefer one over the other?

Pretty much echo the posts above, but I found some good headliner like fabric at walmart for cheaper than $40. Used 3M spray adhesive also... Some people take the opportunity to sound deaden the metal roof while the headliner is out.
JW

I'm about to tackle the headliner replacement on my XJ. Hadn't thought about sound-deadening while I'm at it. What do people do for sound deadening? Is there some kind of stuff to spray on to the inside (underside) of the metal roof? Or is it a matter of putting on those (expensive) self-adhesive pads which car stereo shops sometimes put inside door or trunk panels? Some sound-deadening material is quite heavy.

Back