• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 XJ Instrument cluster problems

Bzamora

NAXJA Forum User
My '99 XJ started weirding out on me today. Driving down the road at a steady 60mph, I suddenly saw the airbag light come on and the speedo went to zero. The tach also went dead as well. A few seconds later the gauges sprang back to life and the airbag light went out. Later it happened again, and I tested the cruise control switch while the gauges were still non-functional and it wouldn't turn on (no indicator light). A few seconds later the gauges came back online again and the cruise switch/indicator worked again. The small gauges (oil, amp, temp, fuel) aren't affected. What in tarnation is going on??? Do I have a bad ground somewhere? A failing clockspring? Speed sensor? If anyone can give me some good ideas before I start tearing the dash apart I'd appreciate it.

Probably the cluster wire connector has worked a little loose. There are lots of threads
on this. This worked for me: Using the fingertips on both hands, press down firm on
the cluster above the odometer. Press down hard a couple of times - but do not crack
the lens!

If this doesn't work then you'll probably have to remove the cluster and clean the
connector and reinstall.

My 99 did that once and it was the connector plug on the left kick panel.It's just up out of sight,has a bolt with a 10mm head securing the plug.I also had the gauge failure on my other 99 XJ, the gauges went dead and the odometer says "NOBUSS". This was the connector behind the gauge cluster

Back