• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sluggish wipers - any ideas?

First thing to do is pull the vent cover, remove the actuator arms, and replace the nylon bushings.

You can get them in the "HELP!" section at the auto parts store. They come in an assortment, and they won't say they fit your 90, they they do.

Ok, once the bushings have been repaced--and use a little moly grease in them--it should work better.

Now, do you have intermittent wipers?

I've had power issues with mine, the 5.5 AMP circuit breaker was acting up. I made a 7 AMP fused jumper and they have been good since. I always planned on replacing the circuit breaker, but what I have works so I haven't bothered. I do keep some spare fuses handy just in case.

Like mentioned it is likely the linkage is binding, if that doesn't work out for you try swapping the power seat or power windows circuit breaker with the windshield wiper circuit breaker just for test (it is 20 AMP and may cook the wiring if you leave it in there and you have a serious fault someplace).

Also make sure the circuit breaker socket (female spade connector) is making good contact and not spread or bent. I've got the tendency to kick my fuse block with my size 13 boots on occasion. I've had the circuit breakers fall out before.

I haven't had any real issues with the front wiper motor and gearbox, but have refurbished the rear wiper on two XJ's. The grease in the gearbox gets really thick over the years, almost like putty. I cleaned out the old grease, rust and whatever and packed the gearbox with new grease.

Also make sure the circuit breaker socket (female spade connector) is making good contact and not spread or bent. I've got the tendency to kick my fuse block with my size 13 boots on occasion. I've had the circuit breakers fall out before.

LOL!

Same here--13EEEE.

I've had power issues with mine, the 5.5 AMP circuit breaker was acting up. I made a 7 AMP fused jumper and they have been good since. I always planned on replacing the circuit breaker, but what I have works so I haven't bothered. I do keep some spare fuses handy just in case.

Like mentioned it is likely the linkage is binding, if that doesn't work out for you try swapping the power seat or power windows circuit breaker with the windshield wiper circuit breaker just for test (it is 20 AMP and may cook the wiring if you leave it in there and you have a serious fault someplace).

I haven't had any real issues with the front wiper motor and gearbox, but have refurbished the rear wiper on two XJ's. The grease in the gearbox gets really thick over the years, almost like putty. I cleaned out the old grease, rust and whatever and packed the gearbox with new grease.

Does anybody have an easy fix for replacing the nipple on the rear wiper housing that the hose for the washer fluid plugs on to? Mine snapped right of. If not how involved is the repair? 96 country

I fixed the one on my 88 a long time ago, the one in my 96 is still OK. I fished out one of those T fittings for some wiper/window sprayer kits I had stashed in a corner of the garage and cut a nipple off with a fine tooth saw. Roughed up the nylon nipple and the base where the old piece broke off of with some fine sandpaper and dab of Acetone. I found a piece of welding rod around two inches long that was the same diameter as the inside diameter of the nipple. I put a light coat of grease on the rod. I pieced it all together and used a small screwdriver to smear a ridge of epoxy glue around the base of the new nipple and the part the old piece broke off of. Just as the epoxy was starting to get harder than gum, I twisted the welding rod to break the bond and pulled it out of there.

Don't over grease the rod and get grease everywhere, prep the pieces to be bonded well and it is a half hour project that will last many years. Build up a raised ridge of epoxy around the repair, if you have to do it in two steps no big deal, I use fast drying epoxy.

I good part of my XJ is super glue and/or epoxy, I've gotten pretty good at it.

Anything you don't want super glue or epoxy to stick to, you can coat in grease or even car wax, though I favor grease used sparingly.

Last edited:
I upgraded my 90 wiper motor/transmission assembly from a late model XJ. I just re-wired the old model plug into the new assembly.

I have been searching jeep forums for months to find a solution the same problem. My XJ is 23 years old and the wipers were very week and slow. I replaced the wiper motor but that made absolutely no difference. I have read a lot of good suggestions on ways to fix the mechanical aspects of the wiper system, but nothing was working for me. Then I read a post a few months ago that got me thing about grounding the wiper motor. So I made up a 10 ga wire lead with cramped-on end rings and attached one end to the wiper motor and the other end to the chassis. The difference was noticeable. The wipers were much stronger and faster. I didn’t stop there. I made up another lead and connected it from the instrument panel grounding point to the chassis (it’s under dash and easy). Finally, I replace the negative battery cable.
The grounding improvements have made a noticeable difference. The volt gauge now reads higher, the electric windows and locks are stronger, and heater motor puts out more air, and the wipers work better. I’m not certain, but I believe the headlights are brighter too.
My XJ grounding system has degraded over time. I think this is common problem with older vehicles. Check for good grounding first before committing a lot of time and money on replacement parts. Grounding is important in 12 DC volt systems. I hope this info helps.

I hadn't heard of the additional wiper ground!!

I have done ground refreshing/additions under the hood and instrument panel.

My results mimic yours. Noticeable. Read my second tip below and see something interesting about the instrument panel ground and what it's responsible for......

Renix Ground Refreshing

The Renix era XJs and MJs were built with an under-engineered grounding system for the engine/transmission electronics. One problem in particular involves the multiple ground connection at the engine dipstick tube stud. A poor ground here can cause a multitude of driveabililty issues, wasted time, failed emission tests, and wasted money replacing components unnecessarily.

The components grounding at the dipstick tube stud are:

Distributor Sync Sensor, TCU main ground, TCU “Shift Point Logic”, Ignition control Module, Injectors, ECU main ground which other engine sensors ground through, Oxygen sensor, Knock Sensor, Cruise Control, and Transmission Sync signal. All extremely important stuff.

The factory was aware of the issues with this ground point and addressed it by suggesting the following:

Remove the nut holding the wire terminals to the stud. Verify that the stud is indeed tightened securely into the block. Scrape any and all paint from the stud’s mounting surface where the wires will attach. Must be clean, shiny and free of any oil, grease, or paint.

Inspect the wire terminals. Check to see that none of the terminals are crimped over wire insulation instead of bare wire. Be sure the crimps are tight. It wouldn’t hurt to re-crimp them just as a matter of course. Sand and polish the wire terminals until clean and shiny on both sides. Reinstall all the wires to the stud and tighten the nut down securely.

While you’re in that general area, locate the battery negative cable which is fastened to the engine block just forward of the dipstick stud. Remove the bolt, scrape the block to bare metal, clean and polish the cable terminal, and reattach securely.

Another area where the grounding system on Renix era Jeeps was lacking is the engine to chassis ground. There is a braided cable from the back of the cylinder head that also attaches to the driver’s side of the firewall. This cable is undersized for it’s intended use and subject to corrosion and poor connections at each end.

First off, remove the cable end from the firewall using a 15mm wrench or socket. Scrape the paint off down to bare metal and clean the wire terminal. Reattach securely.
Remove the other end of the cable from the rear of the head using a 3’4” socket. Clean all the oil, paint and crud from the stud. Clean the wire terminal of the cable and reattach securely.

A suggestion regarding the braided cable:
I prefer to add a #4 Gauge cable from the firewall to a bolt on the rear of the intake manifold, either to a heat shield bolt or fuel rail bolt. A cable about 18” long with a 3/8” lug on each end works great and you can get one at any parts store already made up. Napa has them as part number 781116.

A further improvement to the grounding system can be made using a #4 cable, about 10” long with 3/8” terminals at each end. Attach one end of this cable to the negative battery bolt and the other end under the closest 10mm headed bolt on the radiator support just forward of the battery. Napa part number 781115.

For those of us with Comanches, it’s very important to remove the driver’s side taillamp assembly to access the ground for the fuel pump. Remove the screw holding the black ground wire. Scrape the paint from the body and corrosion from the wire terminal. Reattach securely.

If you want to upgrade your grounds and battery cables in general, contact Jon at www.kelleyswip.com. He makes an incredible cable upgrade for a very reasonable price.

Revised 03-04-2013

Improving the Instrument Panel Ground

The ground point for the complete instrument cluster on your XJ or MJ is located up under the driver’s side dash. If you lay on your back and look up under there with a flashlight, without wearing a hat, you will see a black wire attached to a shiny piece of metal almost directly above the hood release knob. The screw will have either a ¼” or 5/16” head on it.

This ground point is responsible for handling the ground circuit for the following items: Dome lamps, Seatbelt and key warning, trans comfort switch, wiper switch, headlamp switch and delay module, fog lamp switch, cargo lamp switch, all instrument panel grounds and illumination, power windows and door locks, cruise control dump valve, and a few more things.

The problem is that where the ground point is located does not have a good contact with the chassis where the ground should be. The solution is simple.

Make up a jumper wire with #10 gauge wire about 10” long. On one end, crimp on a ¼” round wire terminal. On the other end, crimp on a 3/8” round wire terminal.

Remove the screw from the existing ground wire and attach the small terminal of your jumper so that the original wire and your new jumper share the same attaching point, one over the other.

Look above the driver’s side plastic kick panel just forward of the top of the hood release knob. You will see an 8mm stud there. Attach the large terminal end there with a washer and nut over it tightened securely.

**Special note for Comanche owners: Make your jumper wire 12” long and attach it on the driver’s side kick panel close to the fusebox on the 8mm stud.**

Revised 11-29-2011

On my 87 I got used to the idea that almost any problem should be addressed first by trying a better ground.

In addition, on mine when the wipers slowed down and became more or less single speed, I found that the output bushing in the motor itself had gotten old and worn and dry. When that bearing wears, the motor will drag a little under load. I was able to spruce it up a bit by regreasing the shaft, but eventually got another motor.

As long as you have the space opened up and the motor accessible, take the time to open it up and make sure the shaft has plenty of grease on it.

I just replaced the wiper motor on my '95... helped with low being too slow but high was no different.

Fixed high speed by replacing the intermittent module. picked one out of a '89 at upap.

Back