• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I add power locks?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. So I have been doing a lot of work lately to my 99 xj. I took the rear panel off the back hatch and noticed that there was an extra wire in there. I investigated on another 99 xj that I just happen to have laying around and noticed that this wire plugged into a plunger system that looks like it would activate the door lock. My question is since the wiring is there, could I add power locks? If so, how about key less entry? These are two features that I would love to have. What would I have to do? Is there a write up somewhere?

Yes, you can. No write up needed, salvage the necessary power lock parts and install them where the manual lock parts are.

You will need the door panels, the switches, the lock actuators, and maybe the door wire harnesses. Factory key less will require the key-less entry circuit board and some remotes. Key-less remotes are married to the the circuit board, so unless you have matched set, you will need to have the Dealership re-program your remotes.

Thanks Tim, I have a xj that has everything in it already. can I just pull the circuit board and just "Plug and play" for the key less?

Thanks Tim, I have a xj that has everything in it already. can I just pull the circuit board and just "Plug and play" for the key less?

Yep, plug and play. The keyless entry circuit board is part of the dome light. 1999+ at the worst will require the small wire harness that goes from the junction block in the passenger kick panel up the A pillar.

If you can easily find the donor wiring, circuit board and matching remote then go that route. If not, just grab the lock actuators (they're integrated into the latches so you'll just remove the entire latch assembly) along with a section of wiring (so you have the proper plugs) and look into an aftermarket alarm or similar. It will require a bit more wiring on your part, but may be easier to get all the parts. IIRC, my '99 was missing quite a bit of extra wiring in order to do a plug n play install and it was easier to just run some of my own wires.

Additionally, you will probably get better range with the aftermarket remote setup.

well... i've been working on this stuff for a few hours after work each day. i managed to pull all the wiring harnesses from all the doors, but there is a ton of wiring that goes under the dash and under the hood that isn't there... guess this is just not ment to be.

Don't let that stop you! I installed power locks with an aftermarket remote in a '93 and it was pretty easy. If you go to the FAQ section of this site MT Mike has documented an approach to wiring door locks through a set of relay's. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983428

Follow that advice exactly to wire up the actuators but instead of tying it into the factory system, simply add an aftermarket door lock remote to the 2 trigger wires. Do a search on the internet for a "Bulldog KE1702". I picked mine up from ebay for $30. It is easy to wire in, it comes with two key fobs, it has great range and it works great. You can even connect it to your 4 way circuit to have the lights flash when you open or close it. The instructions that come with the kit will guide you through the whole process.

From my experience, the hardest part of the whole job was getting the actuators out of the donor car in the junk yard. I forgot to bring a drill to break the rivets and ended up using an old shock absorber as a hammer on the end of one of my screwdrivers. I eventually got all 5 out but it was a big pain.

Here is a link you can take a look at:

http://www.kannerlot.com/products/Bulldog-Keyless-Entry-System-%252d%252d-2WZO000PF9D6R98.html

Last edited:
Thanks tjmottor! I'll check it all out. I really hope I can get it all working! I really miss my power windows (which all worked with no problems) and power/keyless locks

so i have swapped in the door locks that have the power lock built in as well as the plunger thing that was in the back hatch. i ordered up that ke1702. is there anything else i have to salvage into this jeep to make this keyless wotk when it comes?

Back