• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY: 97+ OEM fogs to Harbor Freight Fogs

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I did this a few months back and the time has come to clean some photos off my phone. Now you can replace your crappy OEM fogs with equally crappy Harbor Freight fogs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...y-lights/clear-lens-halogen-lights-37349.html

Total Cost: $10.99

9357685214_12b34685e7_b.jpg

9354910273_d224184a52_b.jpg

Okay this is pretty straight forward...

1. Remove your OEM Fogs, unplugging the harness and loosening the metal clamp that grasps the plastic cylinder that pivots the factory fog.
9354910263_a9292b2854_b.jpg

2. Remove OEM bulb cap and unhook factory pigtails. Pull pig tails and grommets from housing.
9354910221_5715ffb913_b.jpg

3. Use a drill bit to enlarge HF housing to match OEM diameter.

4. Plug in OEM pigtails and connect to HF bulbs. Utilize supplied HF connectors if needed. Before completing this step, decide if you want to reuse your old bulbs, go with upgraded halogens, or use the supplied HF bulbs. I purchased new OSRAM bulbs which cost more than the HF lenses. :)

5. Use a dremmel or coping/jewlers saw to cut the plastic adjuster arm off of the OEM housings. Do this at the base of the housing. Remove plastic material to create a flat mounting surface.
9357685150_5e1cf1eccf_b.jpg

6. Drill holes in the center of the flat OEM mounting arm to allow HF mounting bolts to pass through. Also ensure that you have enough room for the HF mounting nut to sit flush.
9354910167_e219eb9154_b.jpg

7. Loosely secure OEM mounting arms to Jeep.

8. Loosely secure HF mounting hardware to OEM mounting arm.

9. Adjust as needed. You will have two points of adjustment, the factory angle adjustment, and the HF angle adjustment. If I recall, I had the OEM adjusted so the OEM lights would have been pointing severely downward, and the HF adjustors compensating. You don't have a lot of room to work with, so play with a setting that works best.
9357685074_4cd8f64b6f_b.jpg

10. Aim Fogs using any number of techniques described online.
9357685044_d39de7d3db_b.jpg

I've actually installed those same lights on one of my kid's ATVs. It's held up to the abuse for over 6 years now.

And it's a standard halogen bulb so you can change them easily.

Nit-picking here:

Wouldn't those be "driving lights" with clear lenses?

Fog lights should be amber.

Yes I think you are nitpicking. Driving lights go on top of the bumper, above the fog line, and can be multiple colors (see lightforce for example). Driving lights have different beam patterns, such as a flood or pencil beam. Fogs have a specific spread with upper cutoffs and a wide horizontal spread. Fogs are generally clear, amber, or yellow.

These are POS HF lights and none of this applies.

From the infamous Daniel Stern

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

What are Fog Lamps Really For?
A good fog lamp produces a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp horizontal cutoff (dark above, bright below) at the top of the beam, and minimal upward light above the cutoff. Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving. Many of them are too small to produce enough light to make a difference, produce beam patterns too narrow to help, lack a sufficiently-sharp cutoff, and throw too much glare light into the eyes of other drivers, no matter how they're aimed.

Good (and legal) fog lamps produce white or Selective Yellow light, and use tungsten-halogen bulbs. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice.

The fog lamps' job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground. When used in combination with the headlamps, good fog lamps weight the overall beam pattern towards the foreground so that even though there may be a relatively high level of upward stray light from the headlamps causing glareback from the fog or falling rain or snow, there will be more foreground light than usual without a corresponding increase in upward stray light, giving back some of the vision you lose to precipitation.

When used without headlamps in conditions of extremely poor visibility due to snow, fog or heavy rain, good fog lamps light the foreground and the road edges only, so you can see your way safely at reduced speeds.

In clear conditions, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Some foreground light is necessary so you can use your peripheral vision to see where you are relative to the road edges, the lane markings and that pothole 10 feet in front of your left wheels. But foreground light is far less safety-critical than light cast well down the road into the distance, because at any significant speed (much above 30 mph), what's in the foreground is too close for you to do much about. If you increase the foreground light, your pupils react to the bright, wide pool of light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light. It's insidious, because high levels of foreground light give the illusion, the subjective impression, of comfort and security and "good lighting".

US-DOT headlamps have historically tended to provide relatively low, arguably inadequate levels of light in the foreground and to the sides. Many US DOT headlamps have what seems to be a "black hole" in front of the car, with essentially the entire beam concentrated in a narrow band or ball of light thrown into the distance. With headlamps like these, a decent argument can be made for the use of fog lamps to fill the "black hole", that is, to add-back the missing foreground and lateral-spread light when driving at moderate speeds on dark and/or twisty roads. Of course, lamps to rectify inadequate foreground light must be thoughtfully and carefully selected, correctly aimed and properly used. Otherwise, they're useless at best and dangerous at worst.

In some places, the law prohibits the use of fog lamps without the low beam headlamps also being on. Whether or not this is the case where you drive, it's vital to realize that fog lamp beams, by definition, have a much shorter reach than headlamp beams. If you drive in conditions foul enough to call for the use of fog lamps without headlamps, it's essential to have good fog lamps that are up to the task and are properly aimed, and it's imperative that you slow down because even with high-performance fog lamps, you can't see as far with fog lamps and in poor weather as you can with headlamps and in clear weather.

If the road is wet or slick with ice, but there's no falling precipitation, fog lamps should be used with discretion. Their extra downward light can help compensate for the tendency of water to "soak up" the light on the road from your headlamps. But, this extra downward light hitting a road surface shiny with water or ice will also create high levels of reflected glare for other drivers. Since we're all "other drivers" to everybody else on the road, it's well to think of roadway safety as a cooperative effort. In most driving situations, fog lamps are neither useful nor necessary, but more people use their fog lamps when the prevailing conditions don't call for their use, than use them when the conditions do call for their use. Nobody thinks your car is cool because it has fog lamps, and glare is dangerous, so do yourself and everyone a favor: choose them carefully, aim them properly, use them thoughtfully, and leave them off except when they're genuinely necessary.

Nice write-up. Lets folks know it can be done :)

I used HF ones on mine also. I removed the HF hardware, took a side grinder and cut the mount off the factory lamp and heat welded it to the HF housing.

What I think I gathered from this is that a good fog light has a sharp cutoff, lighting low and close and to the sides, and shouldn't be used except in fog or precipitation.
I also got that the HF lights aren't good fog lights.
So when are they helpful?

Fog lights have a vertically narrow dispersion to prevent refraction in fog and snow. Because there is no refracted beam for you to try an see though, life is good.

Based on my experience with this "DIY", HF lights don't perform too awful bad for the money. They are about equivalent to the OEM Fogs, a ton better than OEM fogs which are not functional, and a much cheaper solution to buying OEM Fogs.

What I think I gathered from this is that a good fog light has a sharp cutoff, lighting low and close and to the sides, and shouldn't be used except in fog or precipitation.
I also got that the HF lights aren't good fog lights.
So when are they helpful?

They aren't helpful. They fill the square hole in the bumper and they turn on. However, if you leave them on you will melt your factory fog switch. :D

Truth be told, I need to aim mine better. They are too low. It does get really foggy by my house, so they aren't completely worthless. They are certainly better than the cloudy rusted factory fogs, but equal or worse than factory fogs in good shape.

I don't know why you would have switch problems. Both light sets are 55W IIRC.

The OEM Switch is a weak point anyway and they fail with OEM lamps.

Add a relay if you are melting switches. Use the factory pigtail to trip the relay & a separate power path for the lights themselves.
Or if you could find an LED bulb with a lower amp draw?

Back