• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumble or bog when cold at low RPM

thezfunk

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Cherokee 4x2 4.0L

I have had an issue that has gotten worse the more parts I have replaced. The Jeep starts and runs just fine. I get between 19-21MPG. However, the first time I accelerate on a cold start it will stumble or possibly misfire until I get to about 2000RPM. It will sometimes stumble bad and I hear like an air pump sound, if that makes any sense. After the initial acceleration, the problem mostly goes away. Lower RPM's do tend to have a feeling like the Jeep is in sand and a sluggish acceleration feel. Then, at about 2000RPM it takes off.

In the last 30k-40k I have replaced the following as part of general maintenance and also trying to diagnosis this issue.

new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor
new air filter
cleaned throttle body
new TPS, MAP Sensor, IAC (Idle air control? Basically any sensor on the throttle body)
New 4-hole injectors (highly recommend)
new fuel pump assembly
new cat, muffler and tailpipe
new upstream (once) and downstream O2 (twice)
new valve cover gasket
new PCV valve, gasket and breather elbow and gasket
new battery
reset PCM

I think there are only a handful of sensors left but I am sick of picking something, changing it and not getting any results.

Twice now, I have gotten a P0420 code after I replaced both 02 sensors and the cat. One, I think, was the fact my downstream 02 sensor wire was laying on the drive shaft and it wore it through down to the bare wires. The second I couldn't explain and I just cleared it and it hasn't been back.

Could this be a spark thing? Ignition coil? Distributor pickup coil? I am literally running out of parts to change. Crank sensor? camshaft sensor?

I am sure the diagnosis will somehow involve an analog volt meter but bring it on :-D

Transmission?

Lifted?

Size of Tires?

Stock gearing?

Too bad you spent all of that money on things that can be TESTED.

Transmission? Manual

Lifted? Stock Suspension

Size of Tires? just an inch bigger than stock

Stock gearing? Yes

Too bad you spent all of that money on things that can be TESTED.

Yeah, well then it will just be longer until I have to replace them the next time. It's just a daily driver that I don't go off road with.

Yeah, well then it will just be longer until I have to replace them the next time. It's just a daily driver that I don't go off road with.

Well, if you kept the old parts you will have spares.

Search "toothpick" method for setting up the distributor and check the settings.

At what RPMs does it idle when cold?

Pull the CTS--coolant temp sensor--and clean body and the portion of the sensor that is in the coolant with some crocus cloth, then reinstall.

Well, if you kept the old parts you will have spares.

Search "toothpick" method for setting up the distributor and check the settings.

At what RPMs does it idle when cold?

Pull the CTS--coolant temp sensor--and clean body and the portion of the sensor that is in the coolant with some crocus cloth, then reinstall.

I'll search this 'toothpick' distributor thing you speak of.

It will idle right around 1k at cold startup.

hmm...I haven't noticed any weird coolant temps. How would that be an issue related to my problem?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I am searching for that 'toothpick' method but all references to it link to an article that seems to be gone....

http://motorage.search-autoparts.co...estandard//motorage/292005/169830/article.pdf

That is the link and it's dead. I don't suppose I can find that info somewhere else?

I think I found it!

Is this it?
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...F-_W_X&sig=AHIEtbSzGkVXjp8vQ_CZ-PQY2vx-Yj_ypw

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/how-reindex-camshaft-position-sensor-1145301/

Back