• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE hack n tap wobble

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
I have been running the RE hack n tap on my np242 for the last 5 years or so. Lately I've developed a driveline vibe that I've tracked down to the flange on my hack n tap being a tad bit wobbly. Tightening the bolt that holds the flange on doesn't seem to help so I think the splines inside the flange are a tad bit worn somehow.
I have a 231 I plan to swap in soon but I'm still waiting on parts for it so I don't want to spend a lot to keep the 242 running but I need it to survive another couple of weeks of light wheeling in Oregon and Washington. I'm in alberta and I'm driving my jeep down, not trailering it.

Any suggestions on how to tighten up the flange? I could try welding it to the shaft but they are not the same material so it wouldn't last long and it would be tricky to get it aligned perfectly

it's more likely that the bearing in the tailcone on the tcase is going bad. it should be relatively easy to replace providing you can find the part and have access to a set of snap ring pliers.

you can check this by removing the flange and trying to move the shaft itself, it should have no play whatsoever.

It is my understanding there is an expensive option coming from Tom Woods to remove the HacknTap and do a proper SYE.

By going with a proper SYE, you will gain reliability and strength should you decide to go that route.

I am quite certain that the shaft has no play. It's just a very faint wiggle on the flange itself.

I've seen the millwrights at work use a lock-tight material to help seat new bearings in slightly worn out races... Would that stuff work if I put it on the splines of the shaft before I install the flange? I'm just an electrician so I don't even know the name of the stuff or the proper application of it but maybe someone here knows?

I'm not too interested in spending much money on this 242 unless someone comes out with a 2 low kit for it.

I have a 231 on the workbench and a sye on order for it and the 2 low kit so the plan is to swap it in once all the bits arrive but until then I need this 242 highway worthy for a short time.

the reason nobody makes anything for the 242 is the shift forks inside are undersized and prone to bending.

Back