• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light flickering?

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
Recently picked up a '98 2wd, pretty nice original jeep, never wrecked. But occasionally driving down the road the airbag light will come on and off at random. Happens more often when turning so I'm thinking clock spring? Horn cruise wipers and signals all work fine. Tried smacking the dash when it's on and sometimes will go out but possibly just coincidental. I'm thinking clockspring issue or plug on the cluster bad connection, figured I'd ask before I start removal. Thanks for any info.

Clean the air bag wire plugs on the steering column, and at the control box. Also clean the ground wire connection.

( I am not shouting, this is how the text reads in the Service Manual )

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TEN MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Cool Ill try those options when it gets back from the Upholstery shop today. I'm just thinking its a poor connection somewhere too since its so random. Thanks

take Tim's advice from the service manual, disconnect it and let it sit. you really don't want the airbag going off with your face or hand right in front of it, i've seen one break a guys arm that was laying across the steering wheel when it accidentally went off.

My airbag light was on when I got my 2000, I checked the fuse for it in the interior fuse panel by the passenger footwell, and it was corroded like it had gotten wet. a new fuse and a good cleaning fixed the problem for me.

Back