• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what in it now, have a budget, what would yall change.

xj_redneck

NAXJA Forum User
I traded my stupid little Honda for this jeep with this work done. so if it aint done right it aint my fault haha.

alright have a 99 Cherokee with a 4.0l and auto, have a d30 front axle and a Chrysler 8.25. has a 5" lift with 37x12.5.

*front axle*
mainly stock, stock gears, stock axles, stock cover, only has an aussie limited slip locker, drilled and slotted rotors.

*rear axle*
mainly s tock, stock gears, stock axles, crane rear diff cover, true lock limited slip locker, stock brake set up.

*motor*
electric fans, everything else stock

*trans*
stock

*transfer*
sye kit, rest stock

*wheels/tires*
15x10 steel wheels ~-35 offset, Kevlar lined goodyear 37x12.50,

*exterior*
cut out fenders(think they had bushwackers), 6000k hid headlights and foglights,

*interior*
(this stuff I did) removed carpet, removed headliner, dual sound bars so no speakers in doors(easy door removal once I get the time to make them pinned on.

*wish list* (wanna go for fuel milage and off road ability still being my dd)
-wanna do a long arm kit, probably a rough country one for now since the dumb asses before me didn't do any drop brackets or longer control arms the axle doesn't sit quite right and has a mild wobble at 50 mph.
-throttle body spacer
-not sure if they make them but the crank pulley kit
-still have a/c compressor so turning it into on-board air
-neon injector swap
-rear disc brake swap
-gear change maybe 4.88
-upgrade stearing arms and tie rods to rod ends

anyone else think I should do something different. by the way I normally make everything I can, you have more pride in your ride when you make it the buy it.

Nice.
Can we get some pics?
With those tires, you Will need to gear waaaaaaay lower. 6:? Range for sure.
Also, the diffs may not hold up off road, but go for it anyways till they break then move to d60 front and rear.
Absolutely go long arms.

I was gunna build them but more I thought about it theres really no one around me that has the long arm kit installed on there xj, and no one that I know does jeeps were all truck people and don't mind jeeps as long as they don't hate on my truck I don't mind your jeep ive seen jeeps do some amazing things but ive seen my truck right behind them doing the same thing I just gotta run over more sh*t to make some of the paths wider for my truck hens y I had 42, big tires more things I can run over haha.
any ways let me see if I can grab a pic or two from when I first got it, don't have any right now been working on making the outside look a little better and more armored up. haha, I love to play in woods trails so I normally bang vehicles off trees a lot.

In terms of truck speak, once you toss a typical long arm kit (radius arm style) on it, it builds like a 70's 1/2 ton ford. Takes the Jeep mystique out of it.

Deffinitely start looking for bigger axles, the 8.25 will live longer than the front D30 but neither will be happy, and stock 3.55 gearing won't make you too excited either. In order to get it moving well, you'll want to be past what available for your axles, and even if you go 4.88, the pinion is weak due to it small size at that point anyway. A 60/60, 60/14bolt swap would give you strength and the gearing options you need.

Or put smaller tires on it.

well will the axles you specified are they under another vehicle you can find in a junk yard are they ones I need to buy. plus are they the right width. I don't mind if I have to do 4.56s as long as its better then what it is now ill be happy with it, the kid I bought traded for it from said it had 4.56 in it. but since I cant take it apart to find out I had to take his specially since yes you can drive it and feel if it has some get and go but when it has brake issues and you have no idea what else is wrong its hard to say it doesn't have the gears when something could be lagging it so much that it feels wrong plus I wasn't allowed to drive it on the road I had to drive it in a little parking lot. the reason for that would be because I wouldn't let him take my 4.5" lowered Honda civic out on the road since one I don't know how he drives I don't know if he knows how to handle an extremely lowed car, like to look out for pebbles cuz they could dent the oil pan haha, and plus I ve had a guy wreck a car of mine while on a test drive cuz he could drive a 5 speed and didn't pay any attention and pujlled out in front of guy and wam the front end of my car was all f*cked up and I made the dude pay full price and pay more for the damage he cause to my vehicle while on a test drive being he was the one at fault so no I don't let them drive it on the road unless im the one driving it.

plus never really looked at it that way with the older ford style, you know your right, pumpkins are all on the right side the vehicle is a lot of gm parts put you I guess your kinda right just little things instead of full size things haha. im learning on building a jeep, ive been working one jeeps like doing regular maintenance and stuff just never any after market things.

A dana 60/60 combo would be Ford, a 60/14bolt combo would be Ford front, GM rear ... you'd need to add the brackets for the front suspension, and perches for the rear. Plenty of write ups on how to in the technical forums.

If it doesn't drive like a Truck starting in second then it's a safe bet you have 4.56's then, that'll make life better for now ... put 33's on it and the axles you have will last much longer. 35's are dependant on driving style ... 37's with front locker ... buy lots of front axle shafts.

If you are fortunate enough to find a CUCV pickup for a good price, they have 60/14b w/ 4.56 gears, detroit locker in the rear.. some had LSD in the front.

Also for mileage/durability as it sits, I would sell the 37s and get 33/35s?

I know im keeping the 37s ill do 4.56s for now and save up to do the 60/60 axles as I collect up more money and push my chances until then and see if I can run into a set really cheap. now im curious dana 60s are 1 ton axles so that means new wheels ill have to cut the axles shorter to make them match to factory axles I need this thing to stay street legal for Pennsylvania. plus that would mean finding 8 lug 15s which aint no where easy I know I had to find some for my truck there extremely uncommon. Or am I thinking of the wrong axles.

Back