• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new member with lift questions

mudgroupie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 MJ. Currently fabbing up the motor mounts to drop a SBC in her. So far that has been easy. My questions are about lifts versus SBC. I have picked a Dana 60 axle for the front. I'm undecided on how I'm goning to mount it. I really want to keep it 4 link. I would like to use the factory mounting locations on the unibody. Has anyone here done this? I'm going to set it up to run the 44's I have. I also toyed with custom arched leaf spings using the factory lower arm mounting points and fabbing up a front spring hanger. I'm really looking for someone who is running 44's to see what they have done. I had found a chart at one time that gave you lift in inches versus 4link arm length. I cant find that chart on the web again. If anyone has any input please reply with some guidance.

For larger axles/tires you will be limiting your suspension quite a bit with stock-ish length control arms unless you plan to run CAD-brackets.

On yucca-man 's website he has a chart that compares stock vs RC vs RE CAD brackets. I recommend mid/long arms, preferably with brackets or a 3-piece removable crossmember.

I currently have an 87 MJ, with what appears to be about 4" lift? Hard to tell since theres no engine/trans and flat top fenders. But the lower arms are MAXED out as it sits.

I know stock length arms are not an option. I was just wondering about stock mounting points on the chassis. Im tempted to cut all the brackets off the stock straight axle and reweld to my dana 60. Im going to try to find his site and look at the arm length.

Unless you plan to beef up the stock axle mounts. I would either build your own, or get a kit and weld it. Ruffstuff has nice products for very reasonable prices.

Yep Short arms do not flex worth crap LOL! My XJ stuffing 35's on JKS short arms and RE DB's
P1020803.jpg

The question is, what are your plans for this truck? If its mud I don't see why short arms would be an issue with drop brackets. If you want to crawl rock, 44's aren't really needed but if you must then you might want to go with LA's/3 link.

Setting it up for mud bogg only. No crawling at all. SBC is making around 650 hp and is set up for a 3500 stall. Trails and rocks are not an option. Im just trying to keep the suspension install easy. I really think im going to use the stock chassis locating and just build longer arms. Im hard headed I guess. No one around here is running this so I'm going to figure out how to make it work.

Back