• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice needed! :)

CaliforniaMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
My name is Matt and I am an alcoholic.

Kidding! I'm currently a high school student from California. Recently, I've been looking to buy a vehicle for myself, and I have come across the Jeep XJs. I had some questions that I'd like to ask!

1. How is the XJ's reliability, part availability, and capability to do repairs yourself? I've heard the 6 cylinder and auto trans. are bulletproof, but what about the other components?

2. What are the differences between the 2-door and 4-door Cherokees? I read that the dimensions are the same, but how do the two compare off-road and on-road? Is there a weight difference?

3. I am looking into building a S&R vehicle for treks in the wilderness. I often go off roading with friends on several day overnight trips, and we've had a fair share of issues out there (people getting lost, stuff snapping, etc.) What upgrades do you guys suggest? I'm thinking a 4 inch lift, snorkel, lots of lights/flashers, hidden winch, off-road tires, upgraded exhaust, and on-board air.

4. How is the Cherokee as a daily driver? How can I make the vehicle comfortable yet capable off-road? Bilstein or air shocks?

5. How's the gas mileage? Any modifications to improve it? Chipping it?

6. Do you recommend a double-din mod or diesel engine swap from a Patriot?

7. Insurance and safety?

8. What trim to look for?

I'm sorry for all these questions, but I'd like to make an informed decision before forking over hard-earned teenager money! I've got $15k saved up in my "car fund," that should be enough right?! :star:

Thank you very much NAXJA!

Matt

jeep_wave_02.jpg

First off, welcome to NAXJA. This is an amazing forum full of good people and good advice and information. 2nd, you ask good questions, but you might want to utilize the search feature. Many of your questions have been discussed many many times over again.

You'll find a lot of opionions about reliability and the ability to do your own work. It really is in the eye of the beholder and your experience may vary. I have owned 29 vehicles in my 33 years and the XJ is one of the most reliable and easy to work on. Parts are readily available and are generally low cost. I put roughly $300-400 into my XJ a year to keep it safely and reliably on the road. That being said, the newest example is now almost 13 years old. The Jeep XJ, like all vehicles, has it's share of common issues and complaints. I find it comfortable with adequate mileage for what I use it for.

You should spend some time in one and make your own opinions. Try it....you'll like it. :)

find one with a 5 speed AX15 and a np231 transfer case, The 4.0 is bullet proof and they are very easy to work on.....

BEWARE OF RUST!!!! Find a solid body and most of your headaches should be easy to fix.

Welcome.
Spend 5k on a 98-99 and then build the f out of it.

Find a stock XJ and build it your way. The 99 was pretty much the end of the XJ improvements. The 00-01 ended up with pre-CATS and a low-pinion D30 up front--kind of like the last two guests at a party that ended hours ago.

1. How is the XJ's reliability, part availability, and capability to do repairs yourself? I've heard the 6 cylinder and auto trans. are bulletproof, but what about the other components?

All are excellent, but when it comes to reliability you have to consider how many miles are on the vehicle. A ball joint or tie rod end with 200K miles owes you nothing. Given how long these vehicles last, there can easily end up being several things that wear out. I don't consider them unreliable but if you can't or aren't willing to learn to do the work yourself you can quickly rack up excessive repair bills. That being said, I think that the XJ is about as simple to work on as it gets. Unique to you problems are rare and there are several great forums with very experienced people on them willing to help out. Parts themselves are cheap and available pretty much everywhere.

2. What are the differences between the 2-door and 4-door Cherokees? I read that the dimensions are the same, but how do the two compare off-road and on-road? Is there a weight difference?

The number of doors pretty much covers the differences. Also the front seats fold forward on the two door to make it easier to get in the back. There probably are other small differences (weight, not sure what else) but I think the only real deciding factor for you should be do you want 2 or 4 doors.

3. I am looking into building a S&R vehicle for treks in the wilderness. I often go off roading with friends on several day overnight trips, and we've had a fair share of issues out there (people getting lost, stuff snapping, etc.) What upgrades do you guys suggest? I'm thinking a 4 inch lift, snorkel, lots of lights/flashers, hidden winch, off-road tires, upgraded exhaust, and on-board air.

Your on the right track here but an entire book could be written on the subject (and as a matter of fact, Eric Zappe did exactly that, see http://www.amazon.com/High-Performa...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374685369&sr=1-1)

4. How is the Cherokee as a daily driver? How can I make the vehicle comfortable yet capable off-road? Bilstein or air shocks?

Bilstein's pretty much set the standard for comfort and performance. Gas mileage won't be great with bigger tires so fuel costs are definitely a concern but other than that, build it right and you'll have no issues daily driving it.

5. How's the gas mileage? Any modifications to improve it? Chipping it?

With extra weight from lift/tires/winch/etc and the bigger tires, expect 14-17 MPG depending on your driving habits and mix of city/highway. No real way to improve it in a way that'll actually net you a return on the investment. You can do minor stuff (freeer flowing exhaust, better flowing intake, etc, but you're best bet is to just keep the engine tuned up and in good shape.

6. Do you recommend a double-din mod or diesel engine swap from a Patriot?

Do you want/need double DIN? Why do you want to swap in a diesel from a patriot?

7. Insurance and safety?

Cheaper than the truck of the same age I owned, not sure how it compares to others. They are easily totalled because of the unibody construction, but I've been in accidents and seen pictures of accidents where the XJ more than did it's job in keeping the occupants safe.

8. What trim to look for?

Pretty much the last question to ask as it won't come down to this being the only difference. Decide which transmission/transfercase you want then go find one with a solid, rust-free body and buy it. ABS is probably one of the few things that should be already equipped when you buy it (if you want it, many don't). Other than that, interiors can be swapped around, pieced together, etc.

I'm sorry for all these questions, but I'd like to make an informed decision before forking over hard-earned teenager money! I've got $15k saved up in my "car fund," that should be enough right?! :star:

I'd spend no more than 5K on the jeep itself. Then spend money on whatever it needs mechanically (it'll need something, trust me). Drive it for a while to make sure it's reliable in stock form while you research/plan lift/tires/etc. Then buy the fun stuff after you're sure nothing more important will break down.

Hello,
Thank you all for the taking the time to give a newbie some great advice, but I've got to pester you with some more questions xD

1. How much of a problem are pre-catalytic converters? Can I mess with them in California? Don't vehicles have to be ULEV to pass smog?

2. Will the low-pinion D30 matter if I'm keeping the tire size 32" or lower? With a 4 inch lift or smaller?

3. I want to get an automatic transmission, I drive a lot daily and a manual is uncomfortable for my commute. Is the auto transmission made by Chrysler? (Eg. is it reliable?)

4. How are these Jeeps?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3952083349.html
http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/3947038891.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/3901246597.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/3901249408.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/ctd/3949989830.html

Nice 2-doors:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3917467736.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/3879871096.html

And this beast:
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/3918570524.html

I don't want an off-road only rig, I want something that is capable off road but comfortable on road too. That last Craigslist Jeep is really cool with the chopped rear, but is it safe?

Thanks a million!
Matt

That one in venture looks great.
I'm at 5" with 32" tires. Feel free to come on by anytime and take a looksy and go over it and take some notes.
I'm close to you.

The Ventura one seems pretty good, I'll take another look at it.
The one XJrick linked is nice, but it's a 5 speed. Plus, I'm afraid of modified vehicles because I don't know what they've been through and if the components were installed correctly.
Mako, I appreciate your offer but you're a little more than 2 hours away from me! haha.

I think I've decided on a 4 door, the access to the rear of the 2 door isn't practical for me.

Extra Credit: have any of you been to Rowher Flats? :p

The guys in the Southern CA section of the forum organized a wheeling trip to Rowher flats not too long ago. I haven't been there yet.

Matt where do you live in socal?

Won't let me edit, sorry for 2x post:

What factory options were most desirable on the Cherokee?
Also, when were power seats and locks standard?

Back