• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 cherokee motor swap

csanderlin

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 cherokee ex wife put rtv in engine and well now i got a 96 cherokee engine with 50k on it and i need to know if brackets on engine side will work from the 96 cherokee engine and other things i need to change i know i need ot make bracket for the coil pack

Do you have the entire engine from the 96 or just the block?

The 00s and 01s have a different port locations than the 95. You're going to need the intake/exhaust manifold from the 95 as well.

Other than that it should be a direct swap. Just swap anything over that becomes a problem although i don't think you'll have any. You already know about the coil packs.

Use the 2000's intake (ports are close enough to be the same), use the 96's exhaust (ports are too different to re-use the later head), the rest of the parts are more or less the same. Pick which valve cover you like more. To keep the body/electronics end unscathed ... use the sensors, fuel system and coil rail from the 2000. The blocks are the same between the two motors but the heads do differ. I'm using a '93 head on a '2000 block with '00 intake and '98 exhaust on my current XJ to give you an idea of interchange.

Just did a swap I put a 98 zj engine in a 2001 xj. It was pretty simple I just took everything from the 01 and put it on the bare 98 only thing that wasn't an exact fit was the exhaust but it was close so I used it on the 98. only time will tell if it leaks but it's good for now at least it gives me time to put aside some cash for headers.

Back