• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light

1999xjguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I searched, but did not find anything titled like this. The check engine light came on today, its a 1999 xj limited 4.0 engine with 94,995 miles on it. It is running great, real strong, nothing seems to be wrong. I took the negative terminal off the battery for a little while, then put it back on. The light went out for about 2 miles, then came back on. This is my first jeep I have had it about 3 weeks and have never really worked on cars, I need some guidance, is there a meter I can get that can read a code or something to tell me whats wrong? New guy needing help...Thanks:repair:

Most part stores will read the code for free, as well as many independent garages.

That said, you need to find out the DTC code number, BUT DON'T ASSUME that it will tell you what part needs attention.

A DTC--diagnostic test code will tell you that the PCM--powertrain control module--is not getting an expected data value from a particular circuit.

Post up the DTC and we can assist you in diagnosing the problem.

Good luck.

ok, I bought a scanner and hooked it up, it threw the code P0132, then said "oxygen sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 1" Confirmed
Help??? I get oxygen sensor, I believe that there are two on this vehicle, one in the engine compartment and one lower on the exhaust. The former owner just replaced the one in the engine compartment before I bought it to pass smog. I know this because he gave me the receipt for it, and the garage that did it left the old one draped over the steering shaft in the engine compartment....What about that circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 1 thing?

Then '99 and newer XJs came with (4) O2 sensors (2) pre catalytic converters and (2) catalytic converters.... Each side has an O2 sensor before the cat and after the cat. Not sure whether Bank 1 is the drivers or passenger side, but sensor 1 will be the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter.

Then '99 and newer XJs came with (4) O2 sensors (2) pre catalytic converters and (2) catalytic converters.... Each side has an O2 sensor before the cat and after the cat. Not sure whether Bank 1 is the drivers or passenger side, but sensor 1 will be the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter.

CharlesS--I thought the 00-01 were the pre-CAT engines, and the 99 should have only two o2 sensors, one upstream and one downstream.

Re: Re: check engine light

00+ cali had pre cats and 4 sensors
00 fed had no pre cats and 2 sensors
99s. Had 2 sensors

CharlesS--I thought the 00-01 were the pre-CAT engines, and the 99 should have only two o2 sensors, one upstream and one downstream.

I have seen a couple late 99s with them.

Yeah, that cross-over thing happens again and again, usually boils down to what is left on the shelf/available in the supply chain.

I doubt that.

2000 4.0L had either Federal Emissions and 2 O2 sensors and no pre-cats, or Cali Emissions and 4 02 sensors and pre-cats. 2001 all have 4 O2's and pre-cats

No 1999's have more than two O2 sensors, or 1 cat converter.

Our local Jeep club has 2 2000's with Federal Emissions, and 1 2001, with Cali style Emissions.

Ok, even though my 99 is in Cali, it originally was in MO. it is a Federal Emissions vehicle with only two o2 sensors. My particular problem was found to be the sensor, apparently the person who put it on just left it hanging and well, it appears to have made close personal friends with the steering arm and then promptly lost that fight and had all of its wires ripped out of what was left of the connector.....a trip to NAPA auto parts, a little while under the car and viola, no more CEL...all better, thanks for all the info. By the way, on the sub-frame(?) there was a hole that seemed to be where the connector wanted that little nub to go in and that holds it up and away from all the other stuff down there, is that where it is supposed to go?

Back