• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling maintenance

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few questions about what to replace on my XJ. It just hit 200k miles.

The last few months, I've noticed it running constantly over 210. It used to run at 210. This last weekend, I took a 300 mile camping trip and it got as hot as 220 on some of the 11k summit passes we have in CO.

Granted, I installed a winch a few months ago as well, and I know that's part of the problem. The coolant looks clean and it does not leak. I am not sure what I can do to get the engine running a bit cooler. I've never done a flush on it (owned for 2 years). I am hesitant on changing parts if it's running good for the most part. Just don't like having a XJ running over 210 no matter what.

Would you guys just change the coolant, and Tstat for now? Or should I change to a high flow pump, and 2 or 3 core aluminum radiator? I added hood vents last year, and it ran cooler for a bit, but then went back up to running at 210, til now.

drop it out of D and into 3 when climbing big grades, and put an external trans cooler on it. when the transmission loads up climbing a grade in overdrive it builds BIG heat and the transcooler inside the radiator sends all that heat right into the coolant.

every XJ i've owned has hated climbing hills, I can't imagine doing it at that elevation.

Please, Sir, might I have some more...

Paraphrasing Oliver Twist.

YEAR? Any other info you care to share?

drop it out of D and into 3 when climbing big grades, and put an external trans cooler on it. when the transmission loads up climbing a grade in overdrive it builds BIG heat and the transcooler inside the radiator sends all that heat right into the coolant.

every XJ i've owned has hated climbing hills, I can't imagine doing it at that elevation.
Roger that. I always go from D to 3 on climbs, and I have been running the heater on full blast when it was getting to 220 (my wife loved that). I also installed a tranny cooler last year, and added lubegard to the tranny. Didn't notice much of a temp drop though.

Please, Sir, might I have some more...

Paraphrasing Oliver Twist.

YEAR? Any other info you care to share?
1997 XJ, 4.0, auto, 245/75, 4:10. It runs great, but just running warmer than usual lately. So something is changing.

Water pump, fan clutch, e-fan, radiator and radiator hoses are all routine maintenance. If cooling system temps are higher than normal, replacement may be required.

Ok.

Coolant looks great leaves a little to be desired. Get a tester and check it. Also, the stock (counter monkey) radiator cap is rated at 13 lb--most will physically test out well below that number. Try a 16 lb cap OF GOOD QUALITY.

Post up what you find.

Water pump, fan clutch, e-fan, radiator and radiator hoses are all routine maintenance. If cooling system temps are higher than normal, replacement may be required.

That additional trans cooler is a must for an overworked automatic, high heat breaks down your ATF fluid, keeping it cool will make everything work better and longer. After that a good performing cooling system will help dissipate that heat. Water Wetter from Red Line or similar coolant additives will significantly increase heat transfer performance of your coolant without sacrificing cold resistance. I'd add some of that when you replace that coolant. Check to make sure your hoses are holding their shape, as they get old they can collapse and reduce flow.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

Last edited:
Ok.

Coolant looks great leaves a little to be desired. Get a tester and check it. Also, the stock (counter monkey) radiator cap is rated at 13 lb--most will physically test out well below that number. Try a 16 lb cap OF GOOD QUALITY.

Post up what you find.
thanks. I've heard of the caps causing/helping, so will get a good one. i'm going to change the coolant, and put a new 195 stat in there and go from there. I've been eyeing the ffd w/triple e fan kit for a while, but man... $500.. might as well do a new water pump as well. $$$
That additional trans cooler is a must for an overworked automatic, high heat breaks down your ATF fluid, keeping it cool will make everything work better and longer. After that a good performing cooling system will help dissipate that heat. Water Wetter from Red Line or similar coolant additives will significantly increase heat transfer performance of your coolant without sacrificing cold resistance. I'd add some of that when you replace that coolant. Check to make sure your hoses are holding their shape, as they get old they can collapse and reduce flow.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10
I've used the water wetter in my zj, and it seemed to help. will add some to the coolant as well.

Like Joe said ,,test the coolant,,, just looking under the cap and seeing bright green is not the "test". Did maint on mine last weekend..what was nice clean looking coolant at the cap, turned to mostly brown/green pond water when drained out

tI've been eyeing the ffd w/triple e fan kit for a while, but man... $500.. might as well do a new water pump as well. $$$

Don't put a band-aid on a broken leg. the OEM cooling system was working fine before, figure out what changed first!

Update...

I did a flush and new Stanton 195 superstat. The old coolant was nice and clean, and looked to be fairly new. The stat also looked to be near new, so I guess I just wasted my money. With the flush and fill, my Jeep did not change a bit. Still runs w/needle just past 210! Hoses are all in very good shape.

Update...

I did a flush and new Stanton 195 Superstat. The old coolant was nice and clean, and looked to be fairly new. The stat also looked to be near new, so I guess I just wasted my money. With the flush and fill, my Jeep did not change a bit. Still runs w/needle just past 210! Hoses are all in very good shape.
Buy or borrow an infrared thermometer and aim it at the temperature sensor, in the thermostat housing, to see if it agrees with the temperature gauge.
Temperature sensors have been known to go bad.

.......Granted, I installed a winch a few months ago as well, and I know that's part of the problem.......
If the winch is blocking airflow to the grill, that's a
major part of the problem. Even if the winch isn't
directly in front of the grill, it could be diverting the
airflow up and over the hood rather than through
the radiator...

If the winch is blocking airflow to the grill, that's a
major part of the problem. Even if the winch isn't
directly in front of the grill, it could be diverting the
airflow up and over the hood rather than through
the radiator...
I have the gut feeling, that's my problem.

How can I get more airflow? Efans?

IMG_3167_zpse75cc83d.jpg

simple to find out if that's your problem, take the winch off and see if the problem goes away.

adding electric fans is only going to help at low speeds, the problem is you create a blockage to the air that would normally be forced through the radiator while you're driving.

ugh.. that winch was an extreme PITA to get in there due to the grill guard and bumper being so tight in there. i swore, i'd never touch it again lol.

i'm going to try some water wetter 1st, then look at some efans. my cooling seems to be up to snuff. could also very well be, my gauge is not accurate.

Couple things to do, cost less than $500 triple-fan:

Get a junkyard upgrade to the two-speed Ford e-fan. Search, lots of write ups. You may have to upgrade your alternator, if you haven't already with the winch. Those Ford dual-speed fans pull something like 40 amps on HIGH.

ZJ HD fan clutch--not the max cool, it won't fit--pulls quite a bit more air when engaged.

Back