• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head light timmer?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. So my poor XJ managed to get hit and totalled a few weeks ago. I have managed to find a replacement, but the replacement is very light on equipment. I have already removed the cruise control and installed it into the replacement next will be my tinted glass. The jeep that got totalled had head lights that would stay on for a few minutes after the vehicle was turned off. I really liked this feature. Is there a way iI can add this on to my replacement? I have searched adound on here and have found nothing about people who have done this. Thanks everyone!

:-(

replacement

Totaled!? It looks like it needs a fender, bumper and a front clip?!

Either way. I searched around but I don't think I found anything that'd be of value to you.

Seems like there'd be more to it than just adding the sentinel relay. Perhaps some additional wiring.

I'll try to remember to check out my diagrams when I get home.

Also, please swap the wheels from the busted Jeep to the replacement.

I am fairly sure that the wiring is there, under the dash, whether the sentinel timer is there or not. I even have it in my 88 MJ which is a base model...the module is just a plug in. You can likely take the one out of the old Jeep and plug it in to the replacement.

If you feel like taking a trip to California in that "totaled" Jeep, I'll pay for gas and buy you dinner....just sign 'er over.

Try this first. Shut the engine off BEFORE you turn off the headlights.

He WANTS the lights to stay on.

Last edited:
Maybe you should try it before telling me I am wrong? Lights off BEFORE you turn off the ignition, lights go out immediately. Lights off AFTER you turn off the ignition, lights stay on for a minute or two.

Right, but I believe what the OP is saying is that his old Jeep has that feature and his new Jeep does not. He'd like to swap that feature to the new one.

I think he knows how it works.

Maybe not. :dunno:

Right, but I believe what the OP is saying is that his old Jeep has that feature and his new Jeep does not. He'd like to swap that feature to the new one.

I think he knows how it works.

Maybe not. :dunno:

Just trying to make sure he does know how it works before he spends any more time looking into swapping it over.

Totaled!? It looks like it needs a fender, bumper and a front clip?!

Either way. I searched around but I don't think I found anything that'd be of value to you.

Seems like there'd be more to it than just adding the sentinel relay. Perhaps some additional wiring.

I'll try to remember to check out my diagrams when I get home.

Also, please swap the wheels from the busted Jeep to the replacement.

Yes totaled... I am going to swap out those wheels, along with the lift, transfer case, snow plow, and tinted windows. I have a lot of work ahead of me...

Try this first. Shut the engine off BEFORE you turn off the headlights.

Been there, done that... I am aware of how it works... I just would like it to work on the replacement xj.

I am fairly sure that the wiring is there, under the dash, whether the sentinel timer is there or not. I even have it in my 88 MJ which is a base model...the module is just a plug in. You can likely take the one out of the old Jeep and plug it in to the replacement.

If you feel like taking a trip to California in that "totaled" Jeep, I'll pay for gas and buy you dinner....just sign 'er over.

She is definitely totaled. The wheel that you can see off to the left laying in the gravel is the one that was on it. I put the spare on so that I could roll it into the garage to pull parts. The aftermarket track bar is bent along with the front axle and part of the uni-body is ripped and bent. Also everything in the front of the engine bay is shot. Figures too, just got that ford cooling fan installed too... Got 5 grand for her plus retained salvage from the insurance company, it would take way more then 5 grand to fix her. What can you tell me about this sentinel timer? Where is it located?

What did you hit?
I was minding my own business driving down state route 611 with my cruise control set at 60 mph. I had a green light at the intersection and cop decided to make a left turn right in front of me. He was late picking up has daughter at volley ball pratice. Stupid cops...

Been there, done that... I am aware of how it works... I just would like it to work on the replacement xj.

What year is your old XJ, and what year is the new XJ?

The FSM for a 98 gives some excellent and highly detailed information on how to remove the module itself. :bs:

1.Remove the knee blocker.
2.Remove the screw that attaches the module to the inside of the instrument panel Headlamp Delay Module
3.Disconnect the wire harness connector and remove the module from the instrument panel.

The picture is even worse, just shows the module attached to a bracket.

EDIT: I found the part number for the module so maybe that will help identify it on your old XJ. 56009324 (This is for a 98 since I just guessed as to what year the new XJ was)

Last edited:
Well, that sucks. Got a picture of the bent and ripped unibody?

It does suck, I have no pictures of the unibody where it is wrecked. Maybe if I can get a dry day (I feel like I live in Seattle or something lately), I'll go lay in the mud and take some pictures. For now, I will just be swapping out things that I can do from inside my jeep... Like the sentinel timer... And the CD player... And Cruise Control...

What year is your old XJ, and what year is the new XJ?

The FSM for a 98 gives some excellent and highly detailed information on how to remove the module itself. :bs:

1.Remove the knee blocker.
2.Remove the screw that attaches the module to the inside of the instrument panel Headlamp Delay Module
3.Disconnect the wire harness connector and remove the module from the instrument panel.

The picture is even worse, just shows the module attached to a bracket.

EDIT: I found the part number for the module so maybe that will help identify it on your old XJ. 56009324 (This is for a 98 since I just guessed as to what year the new XJ was)

Mine is a 99. Should be the same... is the knee blocker under the steering wheel? I'll go take a look and see what I can find.

Mine is a 99. Should be the same... is the knee blocker under the steering wheel? I'll go take a look and see what I can find.

Yes, the panel under the steering column. Hopefully your new rig has the wiring already there and it is a plug and play situation.

Nice! It was much simpler than I thought. Perhaps I should pop one of those in mine and my wife's Jeep.

Thanks!

Edit: Whew! That thing costs 60 bucks. I don't think I like the feature that much.

I have another Jeep that has the feature I can steal the relay from and I'll grab one during the next PaP trip.

Last edited:
Back