• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Noobfest: 7/20/13

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Noobfest has been an NWC tradition for awhile now. Traditionally this has been a great run for beginners to come out, and run some easy to moderate trail to get a feel for their Jeep.

Summer is a busy time for a lot of people, so this year we had five rigs make it out. Bronzewyrm_Family, Ryan from Bri & Bub, Kaleb, Kenny and Alicia, and yours truly.

Saturday was also the Jolly Jeeper's Run, which yielded a massive turnout. We saw multiple waves come through Rogers Camp in the morning. Spotted a familiar XJ in one of the line-ups.
IMG_0001.jpg

After the traffic had cleared the five of us set out for a relaxed day on the trails. Since we've all been to TSF before, we chose to run the usual route. Started with University Firepower.
IMG_0002.jpg

We took University Firepower to Cedar Tree. Kaleb rocking the all natural AC.
IMG_0004.jpg

Then onto Firebreak Five.
IMG_0007.jpg

The first section was no bubbles no troubles. It was dry enough that traction wasn't an issue.
IMG_0009.jpg

Everyone crawled right on up.
IMG_0012.jpg

Onto the second section.
IMG_0020.jpg

Ran into that familiar XJ again at the start of the third section.
IMG_0022.jpg

Stopped to have a look at Crushers. Some rigs were playing in the Upper and Lower Loops.
IMG_0025.jpg

Our group continued on and ran the newly rerouted moderate section of 7-Up.
IMG_0027.jpg

From 7-Up we worked our way down to Hogsback, Archers, and finally ended up at Waterfall. Like I said earlier the conditions were perfect for sticking lines. I went up first and didn't slip a tire. Awesomeness.

Kaleb was behind me ready to get his redemption run in.
IMG_0028.jpg

Success.
IMG_0029.jpg

Bronzewyrm followed suit.
IMG_0031.jpg

Then there was Ryan who took one for the team and generously offered up his rig for a recovery demo. Ryan blew a rear drive shaft feet away from the top.
IMG_0038.jpg

Ryan had all the necessary recovery equipment... except the winch. John hooked up his Warn to a snatch-block off the winch post. Kenny later ended up adding another line to pull Ryan up since he was left with one tire fire in the front. It was a good recovery.
IMG_0039.jpg

Ryan's getting good at this.
IMG_0040.jpg

Towards the end a new group of Jolly Jeepers arrived. I love a clean well built CJ.
IMG_0041.jpg

The last task of the day was a trail repair demonstration. Kenny generously broke a front axle u-joint while backing up the hill leading out of Waterfall as I strapped Ryan to the top.
IMG_0044.jpg

It was a clean break so we tossed the stub back in, shoved a rag in the tube, and bolted everything back together.
IMG_0046.jpg

While loading up to head back to Rogers, Ryan received word on the radio of a fire off Ben Smith Road. We buzzed down to take a look and lend a hand if needed. It was in an area that had previously burned. Some hot spots must have kicked up with the wind. Nothing we could really do except help coordinate the fire trucks to the scene.
IMG_0048.jpg

All in all though, it was a gorgeous day at TSF, and a very relaxing day on the trails with some good company. Looking forward to getting back out for another laid back summer run.
IMG_0050.jpg

it was a great day for me and the family. I had a good time leading for the day. special thanks to you know who for the help! I didn't get many pics, and there spread out. ill try to get a feiw up tonight. caleb, good to meet you, the "super light" xj did great all day. I cant wait to see you on the trails again. Kenny, always a pleasure wheeling with you and Alicia. and I want my wheel stand pic! Ryan, always a good show. the theme of broken drivelines and leeking oil, still wheels like a champ. I wached the welded rear end "push" your jeep most of the way up water fall. at least those welds are holding eh?

I cant wait till the summer campout!

take care in cali Torx.

Bronze.

Back