• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need tires.. might as well upgrade

Red2000

NAXJA Forum User
Currently I have 235's that are on the wear bars. Driving home from work on the highway I was getting bad vibes in the wheel after bumps from the tires being cupped. I have a 2" spacer in the front, 2" block and 2" shackle in the back (rear leaves are pretty beat so its only a hair high in the rear).

I'm looking at whole new set up... 3.5 re, new rims for backspacing and 8' width, and 33x10.5 bfg ats.

Any advice on this? I need to pull the trigger asap to get her back on the road, not safe right now with the tires.

My guess from what you described is your on the verge of deathwabble. I would look at replacing/upgrading your steering as well. Currie is a good choice. And get some bilstein 5100 shocks. Do not use the re shocks. That will be a very solid setup. Add a few lunch box lockers to that and you have a very capable and street able rig.

As far as rims 4" is a good bs. It will let you still tuck the tires. With some trimming that is.

I have never really encountered anything I wanted to do and could not without lockers ( i do have the rear posi track) so I doubt that will be included, good advice though.

I have a new steering stabilizer to install and alread have some extended shocks and bumpstops.

4" bs is what I was looking at.

What in the steering should I look at replacing? How much does this run? Right now I'm looking at 1500-1600 and dont have much less in the budget.

Rubicon express gas shocks are damn near identical to 5100's. I've never had an issue with RE shocks and honestly, I'm pretty sure they're made in the same factory to the same specs as 5100's. Only noticeable difference is the shock body color.

Rubicon express gas shocks are damn near identical to 5100's. I've never had an issue with RE shocks and honestly, I'm pretty sure they're made in the same factory to the same specs as 5100's. Only noticeable difference is the shock body color.

Good to know.

You can just replace the tierod for strength but if you have never replaced any steering parts then its probably time too. The currie kit is a bit pricey but its a good investment.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1219

By the way. If you have death wobble and don't address it. Putting a lift and bigger tires will only make it worse. It is a common problem. Do some research on it before going further. Make sure you get a new adjustable track bar and bracket with your kit. If you do and replace your steering the only other culprit in my mind would be ball joints.

I'm sorry but what are you basing this on... the way they look?

I'm sorry but what are you basing this on... the way they look?

Yes, like I said, this may not be accurate. But they are physically identical. And from running both. They even feel the same. I know that many shock companies use the same manufacturing plant to produce the same products under the same name. For instance, Superlift gas shocks are just badgered Bilstiens as well. I know that for a fact since I'm friends with Bret the owner of superlift. Or well, previous owner now.

Last edited:
Ordered re 3.5, re adjustable track bar, and 15x8 black d windows with 3.75 bs tonight.

Looking at picking up 33x10.50s from Costco. At 166 a piece I think this may be my best deal.

Called rubicon express today... Rep told me with the track bar I ordered I do not need a bracket. With the HD track bar you do need a bracket.

Had a hold on my order to sort that out.. Hold removed and added a floor jack to help with install.

I guess "need" is a relative term. The factory mount is a single sheer mount. It will wallow out creating death wobble and hinder flex.
na2y4uqu.jpg

This style mount is stronger and allows pivot on a vertical plain. The mount doesnt wallow out over time.

qy8atumu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Those are not my pics by the way. Just found a few examples on google. I did the 1600 bar and then had to replace the mount. I could not drive it on the street because of the death wabble it caused. It wasn't immediate but it did keep me from work and for dd people that will be an issue. Just sharing my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I think the only reason why they offer the non HD trackbar now is so people buy it, get DW again, and have to buy the HD bar and bracket anyway. So they get twice the profit from one person. Happened to me as well. The non-HD bar probably won't even put up with street driving before it wallows out.

Thanks for the pictures.. I just may be ordering that bracket soon. I'm going to hold of for a bit since I just drop 1k and still need tires.

Go for the frame brace as well when you get the bracket. Serious has RE stuff for reasonable prices.

Last I knew Dirtbound had a set of 5 33x10.5 BFG's. Try contacting them and see if they are available. General makes their Red labels in 33x10.5 meow.

Wheels and track bar came in Weds. Dropped the wheels off last night to get fitted with some 31 definity mts from pep boys. Picking them up tonight and the lift should be arriving Saturday.

I'll share some pics of tires and wheels after I pick them up.

Back