• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 swap with rail shifters

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
back story:
i bought a cherry 92 MJ 2wd ax15 long bed, i have a renix era (90model) aw4 and everything but a tcu and harness to swap my jeep from manual to auto.

now i've gone and read up on rail shifters and the going from manual to auto. seems pretty straight forward, i'm looking at running RAdesigns rock shifter and the rail shifter. which should give me PRNOD with manual shifting 1-4.

now my only concerns are:
1. would i be better off with a 91+ aw4 or are they basically the same.
2. im not quite sure on the torque converter lock up and what not, the only upside i see would be using it like an engine brake.

I think that is it for the time being, i cant really think of any other concerns i have with doing this set up.
-Ian

They have their differences, but nothing wrong with a good-working renix AW4. Renix is 21-spl output vs 91+ 23-spl. I would install a TC lockup switch. Easy enough to toggle.
Altho, really not sure why you want go to auto. But I guess I see it if you want 4wd and already have the AW4. Where are you located? Care to donate your ax15? haha.

Nice find on the HO MJ, not sure I want to know how much you paid.

Op posted the Mj was 2wd so I would assume that the manual tranny wouldn't do him any good if he's going 4x4 conversion since manual and auto tranny's differ from 2wd and 4wd

Back