• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Firestone Filters

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
My local Firestone is offering an oil change special that undercuts my cost doing it myself. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm concerned about the quality of filter they use and was wondering if anyone had an opinion about it. I have no problems doing it myself but for $19.99 it's hard to beat.

"Made by the lowest bidder..."

"Right now, a company called Champion Labs makes them (not connected to Champion spark plugs). However, this could change in the future. Champion Labs makes 2 different filter designs: E-core, which is lower quality than their previous designs, (sold as Wal-Mart Supertech filters, new AC Delco, Car and Driver, Champ, Deutsch, STP) Performance, which is a good filter design: (sold as K&N, Mobil 1)
The best oil filters that are still easy to find and affordable are:

Wix (also sold as Carquest, NAPA gold)
Purolator (also sold as Bosch, Motorcraft, Powerflo, Proline)"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_firestone_oil_filters

Last edited:
Thank you Joe. I think I'll take your suggestions and go that route. I'm looking for value, but not at the cost of reliability and performance.

Good choice.

FYI--our shop has a WIX/NAPA Gold or OEM oil filter policy; one day while I was out my Son--the OWNER of the shop--put a CHAMP filter on a Toyota p/u 22R engine after replacing the timing set. Everything checks fine BUT it comes back the next day--rattles like mad when the engine is cold. I took one look under the hood and jerked that filter out of there and replaced it with NAPA Gold--all fixed! It is tough chewing out the owner--even if it is your Son.

Even the carquest red filters are made by wix. Maybe buy a wix/carquest/napa gold filter and have them change the oil?
Does their 20$ include 6 quarts? or only 5?

Got a Walmart nearby? They had Rotella T 15-40 for about $13.50 last week. A top notch oil for our Jeeps. Go to O'Reilly and get a Wix, or Napa and a Napa Gold for $6.50. You will need another quart of oil, but I guarantee you for a little effort you will have a lot more quality.

Back