• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative to Hood Vents

CTRacing

NAXJA Forum User
Could I cut holes and vent heat into the area where my wiper motor is?

I was thinking of cutting out either or both the areas in red

What do you think? Is it a good or bad idea?

The Chrysler Lebaron hood vents are a popular mod for heating relief. Another one you may want to consider are purchasing spacers for your hood mounting brackets. They raise the rear of the hood slightly to let the heat escape.

I suppose you could, whether or not the benefit would be worth it is another story. I'm sure it would help some, but exactly how much is hard to say. Interesting Idea tho.

The Chrysler Lebaron hood vents are a popular mod for heating relief. Another one you may want to consider are purchasing spacers for your hood mounting brackets. They raise the rear of the hood slightly to let the heat escape.

I want an alternative to hood vents, especially the Lebaron hood vents, I think they are ugly. I have heard nothing but bad things about hood spacers. It's supposed to be extremely unsafe for a head on collision.

Never been done before.

0717082155a_zps9c6fe92f.jpg

0717082155c_zps2ea1f00f.jpg

With a high pressure at the base of the windshield at speed, which also pushes fresh air into the cab, air would be going into the engine compartment from there, and crazy heat into the cab on the trail I reckon.

With a high pressure at the base of the windshield at speed, which also pushes fresh air into the cab, air would be going into the engine compartment from there, and crazy heat into the cab on the trail I reckon.

You'd reckon wrong. I don't run a windshield.

I think you should let everyone know that before acting like what you did is common practice. I personally would not want to breath the fumes from the engine bay. Nor would my wife or kids.

Have you considered REAL hood vents?

If you like the looks of those check with your local hot rodders--they should know someone with a louver press.

Here's an affordable alternative. I'm always looking for different. About 4 years ago I went to Home Depot and bought 2 small floor registers (about $15 including screws). Cut the holes and screwed them in. They work great. I get lots of positive comments.
IMG_20130702_180101_797_zps694e112a.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an affordable alternative. I'm always looking for different. About 4 years ago I went to Home Depot and bought 2 small floor registers (about $15 including screws). Cut the holes and screwed them in. They work great. I get lots of positive comments.

Hey DaYeep, does that LED glare off the hood badly or not so much? That has to be a heap of lumens.

You'd reckon wrong. I don't run a windshield.

NOW you tell us.

Maybe you shouldn't run a hood either.

Re: Re: Alternative to Hood Vents

Hey DaYeep, does that LED glare off the hood badly or not so much? That has to be a heap of lumens.
We are getting off topic, but yeah, there is a little glare, but not too bad. It lights up everything.

Could I cut holes and vent heat into the area where my wiper motor is?

What do you think? Is it a good or bad idea?

Your vehicle to do what you want .. ;);)

Essentially a bad idea tho ... coz of the cabin intake and fumes issues ... IF thats relevant to your vehicle use .. ;)

The other thing is ... You will have the same problem as with spaced hoods, "cowl" hoods, and rear located, hood "vents"

i.e. .... you wont have any venting happening anyway ... unless the vehicle speed is slow enough, or the engine fan is producing enough CFMs ... to overcome the effects of the high pressure area at the base of the windscreen.

you can buy pre-punched louver panels off of ebay for cheap. It's not hard to graft/weld in a panel if you have a mig and some patience.

i.e. .... you wont have any venting happening anyway ... unless the vehicle speed is slow enough, or the engine fan is producing enough CFMs ... to overcome the effects of the high pressure area at the base of the windscreen.

So is there an ideal place or location on the hood that will actually vent hot air?

Back