• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny removal...STUCK

Truckedup

NAXJA Forum User
1999 4x4 5 speed,pulling tranny-transfer case to service a chattering clutch.Shows 150 K miles and I believe it's the original clutch.
Tranny/TC was a huge struggle to get it 3/4 inch from the engine,the alignment dowels were stuck....So now dowels are clear, but the sucker is really stuck. The engine is supported and the tranny/TC is strapped to tranny jack.Two long pry bars on each side of the bell housing and it doesn't budge. I've moved it up and down,side to side, I don't want to break something.The clutch disc must be seized on the splines.
It's not a rust bucket and not abused.

Anyone ever run into this problem?

As you are doing this on your back my only suggestion may not work.

Usually when I have run into this situation I start trying to rotate the trans and shake the tail to break things loose.

You might be able to do this with a couple other people under there helping you.

Caution--when they pop loose they can get away from you in a hurry.

Replaced the clutch on my '98 5 speed 4x4 XJ 4 years ago; make sure you have the little bolts loose from the bell housing to plate that slides over the crank shaft between the block and flex plate.
Remove the transfer case from the transmission and try jacking up the transmission a little and see if that helps separate the transmission. The other problem I ran into was the dowl pins that the transmission bellhousing aligns to can be oxidized and require spraying a little PB Blaster and then rapping lightly with a rubber mallet to free up....

Did you remove the two reverse E torques bolts from the the top of the bellhousing ?

Replaced the clutch on my '98 5 speed 4x4 XJ 4 years ago; make sure you have the little bolts loose from the bell housing to plate that slides over the crank shaft between the block and flex plate.
Remove the transfer case from the transmission and try jacking up the transmission a little and see if that helps separate the transmission. The other problem I ran into was the dowl pins that the transmission bellhousing aligns to can be oxidized and require spraying a little PB Blaster and then rapping lightly with a rubber mallet to free up....

Did you remove the two reverse E torques bolts from the the top of the bellhousing ?

Yes all bolts removed.... It finally came out with the tranny and T/C bolted together. I think just taking a break and eating lunch gave me new energy..

Thanks!

I usually remove the t-case then pull the tranny. Plenty of room then.

I think I'll remove the t-case to make the installation easier because I'm doing this on a creeper...And I'm an old guy....The whole assembly is quite bulky and long for such a small vehicle...I've done many older CJ Jeeps with much more compact,although heavy,transmission-T cases....

I think I'll remove the t-case to make the installation easier because I'm doing this on a creeper...And I'm an old guy....The whole assembly is quite bulky and long for such a small vehicle...I've done many older CJ Jeeps with much more compact,although heavy,transmission-T cases....

Im a old guy too LOL!

The T-case is a quick, easy job. The top bolt is a bear to get to in the Jeep but its not impossible. The T-case can be removed/reinstalled by hand, no lift needed. I think it weighs 60-70lbs but its easy to handle.

If I remember correctly the TC only weighs 48 lbs. It seems ALOT heavier when laying on your back...especially for us old dudes.

Dang it, I can't find the geezer smiley.

I shipped a 242 to Texas through UPS a couple years back and it weighed in at slightly over their 70lbs limit for regular freight :(

It cost almost as much to ship it as I was asking for the TC itself:gonnablow

Back