• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U bolts for a RE BB?

SDKmann

NAXJA Forum User
I was about to pull the trigger on a Rubicon Express BB kit when I noticed that you needed to also buy their U bolts if your XJ had the 8.25. My 01 sport has the Dana 35 but I just checked quick and sure enough my 00 sport has the 8.25. 4WD has the u bolts for $40, seems like a lot for what they are. Is that something I can just pick up from the hardwear store and not pay as much or is there any reason I have to have the Rubicon Express u bolts?

Hardware store?

NO.

Do you have to buy them from Rubicon?

NO.

Automotive parts store or spring specialty shop?

YES.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, much appreciated. Damn those things are expensive, my local parts stores don't have them for any less. So, is the 8.25 at least a better rear axel to have than the Dana 35 for it costing me this extra $40?

I am still running on a D35, but my offroading is mostly low-impact Expo stuff. I want to upgrade to an 8.8 Explorer with discs an LS, but money is an issue at this time.

I would take an 8.25 any day over a D35.

Yes, 8.25 is much better than a Turdy5. Some have no issues. I did not have any as far as breakage, just got a good deal on a 8.25 that was already geared.

spring specialty shop?

YES.
Best deal around here!

When I needed longer U-bolts, I took one factory U-bolt in and told the guy how much longer I needed them. The guy brought back 4 new U-bolts, 8 each, hardened washers and nuts. After tax, I was $22 lighter in the pocket.

SCREAMIN' DEAL! :)

They can be had for about $25 online, but with shipping you'll probably spend about $40 (u bolts are heavy). You could try Serious Offroad, they sell RE u-bolts and usually have the cheapest shipping.

I just got rough countrys for about 40 shipped to my door, much more beefy than stock and they were fine thead, with hardware, but i also should have found an 8.25 first i just blew 40$ and my time reinstalling this rear end (d35) when it will be one ofthe first things upgraded

Back