• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spectre cowl intake owners

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering if I cut a hole for more air, on the passenger side will help any?

Just can't help to feel, the engine is not getting enough air from the driver side. Thoughts?

jeepcowl_zps8831318d.jpg

I would say no its not needed. Compare the size of the opening in the spectre tubing and the size of the opening in the cowl. I'm sure the opening is much bigger in the cowl.

There is a vacuum test you can run to see if you have restrictions in the intake. Connect a vacuum gauge to the manifold and run the engine up to WOT. In a perfect world, the intake partial pressure should rise to atmospheric, i.e. 0" Hg of vacuum. 3" Hg is considered fairly normal with 5" Hg being the up limit.

If you run the test and the manifold goes to 3" Hg or less, leave it alone.

It was by this test that it was determined a larger TB was needed on my Supercharger. The stock TB, being only 55.5mm in diameter after all, was restricting the flow . The 68mm that is currently installed works much better...

As to which vacuum port to use, the one for the PCV return works quite well.

Mine works incredibly well. Bored my throttle body out to 62mm also. You get used to the sounds if you like motor noises. Im running one with 31s and 4.88 gearing. When you stab the skinny pedal it says "Yessir!"

No other holes are needed in the cowl! The Spectre kit is awesome, fits great, looks and sounds killer!

I'm running 30" tires and 4:10's with a rear full case Detroit. Its fun!

My 1990 RENIX
0206121346.jpg

It looks like the air tube would go right over the top of my oil cap on my valve cover. I put a 1998 cover on my 1988 Renix.

Do you have problems with oil cap access?

It looks like the air tube would go right over the top of my oil cap on my valve cover. I put a 1998 cover on my 1988 Renix.

Do you have problems with oil cap access?

Yes you are right Ed! That valve cover is off of a 96 and the Spectre for the RENIX runs right on top of it. No big deal for me since my motor is new and does not use oil and I just take it loose and clean the filter at each oil change.

Nice thread.

I have been interested in the Spectre/THOR setups, but neither one gets it done for me.

Thinking of getting the Spectre RENIX TB adapter, then roll-my-own to a THOR filter type in the Spectre location. Does that make any sense?

Nice thread.

I have been interested in the Spectre/THOR setups, but neither one gets it done for me.

Thinking of getting the Spectre RENIX TB adapter, then roll-my-own to a THOR filter type in the Spectre location. Does that make any sense?

Does the Thor put the filter in the cowl? If so, you will have to put the filter on the pass side due to the wiper arms/mechanism.

Back