• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is this in my diff? dana 44 and arb?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member

just found this in the 44 that I am almost done swapping in.
I am hoping its not serious, but it looks like a roller bearing from a bearing? no idea how just one is in there. gear oil looked great. I am very confused.
please tell me its a diff magnent?

It's a conspiracy!

0ku0.jpg

Seriously though, at some point a bearing came apart (probably a pinion bearing) and that is a roller that came out of it's cage and hid from whoever rebuilt it the first time.

That is one of your roller bearings, sorry to say. Either someone lost it in there doing a rebuild and didn't find it or one of the bearings (I'd have to guess a pinion bearing) lost one. Generally that means the bearing cage on that particular bearing is toast... check your pinion bearings for play, you may want to pull the pinion out and see if you can find where it came from. Check the carrier bearings first though, since you have to pull it out to get to the pinion anyways.

If you dig in, you're going to want to order a new pinion nut and pinion oil seal ahead of time. Should be pretty cheap.

edit: I've been beaten. Also, haven't you done gears before? I thought you had, surprised you didn't recognize the part.

ok. becuase everything seems fine right now. like the gears seem to be really tight? there is no slop in the pinion at all or the carrier bearings? I can see all the rollers in the carrier bearings. Ive pulled alot of carriers, but never an arb, I'm afriad to pull the arm and damage the copper line. damn. If there was slop in the pinion.

should I just roll with it as is?

everything looks pretty good to me.

damn. I figured it was possibly a pinion bearing roller? that really really sucks.
if it wasnt an ARB i would have already pulled the pinion by now.

dude said he never had any issues with the front end. do you think it could have been like that for long?
im so confused?

I havent even driven on it yet. still swapping it in. Man. what a bummer.

It would still roll for a while. But it will chew up the bearing quick. It will want to lock up slightly as if spins. This will flat spot rollers and cause bearing failure. I highly doubt it came out as you were putting in the pinion. The cage has to break or completely come off as a whole to release the rollers. You should be fine. Run it and see if it howls. If not, you're good to go.

I didn't touch the gears, just finally popped the cover since when I bought the axle as is?

ok thanks action fab. the dude sounded crazy surprised about it. so far it seems ok. I wonder if when the last gear install was done if this got lost in there? the funny thing is, is that we pulled the cover when i bought last month, there was nothing in there, but this time there was. maybe it was hiding in an oil passage or something.

I cant imagine it missing a roller and actually spinning as smooth as it does?

pinion spins crazy smooth.

I was able to get in there with a flash light and really check out the carrier bearings from side. verified about ten times that all rollers where there and that everything looked fine.
Ive had bad pinion bearings before and there was always slop in the pinion, like pulling on the yoke would result in a ton of play.
everything is solid here.

just crazy surprising because I just started to cut the DOM for the tie rod and popped the cover and found this.

I did have the axle upside down while I was grinding and welding, so maybe it was lodged in an oil passage and finally came out?

just kinda shocked me when I was almost done with this thing

front axle looks bitchen dude, cept why do you have two different missalignment spacers on the under portion of your pitman arm bolt? Not enough bolt threads?

no sorry that was litterally just for mockup. I didnt want to tighten the damn 3/4" bolt with a locker washer all the way down just to mock it up. all that BS will come off and get bolted on solid tonight when I finish up the brakes.

Ha, I ended up buying a bunch of regular 3/4" nuts to use for mock up so I didn't have to impact on the distorted lock washers every time.

Since it looks like you are pretty decent at welding, I'd recommend double shearing the pitman arm and high steer arms where you have the high misalignment spacers. I know lots of people run the heims single shear, but I didn't like the looks of it when I installed my own steering.

Ha, I ended up buying a bunch of regular 3/4" nuts to use for mock up so I didn't have to impact on the distorted lock washers every time.

Since it looks like you are pretty decent at welding, I'd recommend double shearing the pitman arm and high steer arms where you have the high misalignment spacers. I know lots of people run the heims single shear, but I didn't like the looks of it when I installed my own steering.

Yah the axle side hi steer arm is double shear. This is just the first mockup, but I plan on making a waggy arm double shear one way or the other once it comes in the mail/

I also run the Ruffstuff "safety" misalignments on the drag link at the pitman arm.

it was a lot more work to get all of these brackets on the 44 than I originally planned:

the regular fine thread 3/4" nuts is a great idea. I will have to do that.

frame side upper is bolt on, bolts through in 6 bolts plus the 5/8" bolt for the hiem itself. 6 outer bolts:

inner plate:

bolts through frame

it also allowed for at least that 2 foot section of inner frame to be plated. I want to eventually plate all of the inner frame now

Last edited:
Back