• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Experience with Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

SDKmann

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search and couldn't find a decent review on this site. I was originally going to get a set of the General Grabbers I had on my last XJ in 235/75 but last minute looked at 30s for fun and found out 30s in the Generals were only $3 more per corner, so no brainier on going with the bigger tire. But then I also saw the Kumho Road Venture AT KL78s on the list at approx $50 less for the set, and so I started reading reviews on the tire retailer's sites. Those reviews all sounded great but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with the Kumhos and could let me know about their experience.

Also, guess Ill tack this on since I haven't found an answer yet, will 30s fit on the stock tire carrier inside the XJ?

Last edited:
I've only used the Kumho M/T. They were great on and offroad. No complaints at all.
worst off road tire ive ever seen, my bald MT Claws were better, not to mentions cheesy sidewalls on the kumho's, they couldnt get traction on anything, doubt the at's are anybetter

I never had a single issue with my kumho m/t's either.

Damn, well that gives me second thoughts, that's the first review I've seen thus far that didn't like them but I did post here to find out if anyone had that sort of experience. Now I guess I should say that Im not into off roading really, might do a bit once the new XJ is together, but its just my daily driver.

Check out Kenda Klever AT's. I just bought the MT version and I've run a lot of Kenda MTB tires as well as ATV tires and absolutely loved every one of them. The just started making light truck tires this year. I seriously have never been happier with a brand. Amazon has them for like $130 a tire with free shipping. You should check them out.

For what we do (rock crawling) I've never heard anyone super thrilled with their Kumho MT's. Don't know anyone with the AT's.

I'll take a look, thanks. I'm familiar with Kendas as a bike tire but have never had them myself, I've never been able to break away from my beloved WTBs.

Good to know, thanks. How was tire wear with those?

Probably would have been better if I had rotated them or done a proper alignment after bending my tie rod a few times. The fronts would wear out quicker than the rears.

To the guys saying you had issues, why did you think they were bad? I used them a bunch at Rausch Creek and they were great at gripping wet rocks. Worked awesome in the loose sand in the outer banks and got me through a winter with two 2+ foot snowstorms. Not to mention 20-30k road miles.

I'd say the new kevlar MTR's I have are better, but not by a whole lot.

Back