• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current coils bottoming out way too much with bumper/winch

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
I have some RC 3" coils that are giving out way too much now, and need some options.

They have actually ridden great prior to my bumper/winch combo (about 140lbs). I think the spring rate is 160#. I added a spacer to make up for the winch sag, but on my last wheeling trip, I was constantly hitting my bumpstops hard.

I am also running the cheap, white body shocks. They are 11" of travel, maybe this is part of my problem. I've adjusted my bumpstops accordingly, so the shocks are safe.

I have a set of 4.5" RE or Rustys coils, (black coils, bought used) that I was going to install, but the spring rate should be pretty soft as well. I don't want more height, just don't want to bottom out anymore.

Stiffer 3" coils, or better shocks? or shorter shocks? RE 3.5 coils are 240#, but I read give 4.5".

Start with new shocks, that are the correct length. With 140lbs of bumper, RE 3.5" coils should be about right if the shocks don't solve this. I had the same trouble, and DoetschTech shocks fixed it.

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/

Thanks for the reply. What I'm not sure about the shocks, is.. Aren't the white body (cheap) shocks stiff anyway?

The shocks are a little long for my application, but the bumpstops keep them from bottoming out, and I keep going back to the coils not being stiff enough to rebound when I go over a dip, bump, etc...

I don't use Rusty's, Rough Country, Tough Country, or generic lift kit parts or shocks, so can't give any advice on the cheap stuff.

DT3000's are smooth on the pavement, and controlled on the 4x4 trails. I had some DT3000's for the 3.5" lift, and bought another longer set for the 5.5" lift. I ran some Rancho shocks that were stiff as cement on pavement, and smacked the bump stops constantly on the trails.

Just because a shock "fits", does not mean it is properly valved for the XJ.

Hi, I had the same problem, ones I got reed of the stock bumper and install a custom built one, about 140Lbs, had to change the stock coils, then had to change the bilstain 5150’s I had install, I decided to lift my Xj and install good shocks, right now I have a 4.5 LA lift and run bypass 2.0 piggy back Fox shock, never had anything like it, you can do practically anything with fox shocks, they are completely rebuildable, and completely tunable, it took a couple of weeks to get to the right tune I wanted, now it is comfort, the good thing about this type of shocks is that you can play with the amount of gas pressure so they can help the coils with the weight.

They are expensive, but at the end you fall in love with them, and you won’t have to buy shocks in a long time.

Back