• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pedal Box

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I'm doing the '96 xj brake upgrade into my '88.
:doh:I'm having one slight hitch, does anyone know the bolt size for the two bolts going into the pedal box? Very awkward for me (even with the seat out) just can't work out the size it is from my spanners & sockets.
The 4x nuts on the firewall are 14mm, which are sorted.

Thanks guys.

Steve

the ones that the steering column and round rod braces attach to or whatever? I believe they are 15mm but not sure.

Re: Pedal Box Conundrums

I finally got some time off to 'try' and finish of my brakes. The renix booster is making a hissing sound and it's due for its mot (roadworthy certificate) so got to get this thing finished.​

Now i have no access to yards - everything is mailorder for me here in the UK. So for ease and less stress:) i bought the booster, m/c, & pedal box from a '96 cherokee - so all i needed to do was fab the brake lines.​

Looking at the renix pedal box there seems to be a white fitting that is activated by the pedal - it is in the same spot as the brake switch on the '96 - what is it?

Also there are two connection plugs going to the renix brake switch???​

With my "new" pedal box, do i need the plug for the brake switch, or can I use some connectors? I was also thinking of just changing out the pedal itself, rather than the 'whole caboodle'

---------------------------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Litre 4WD Auto...A Californian emissions model !!!​

The white part should only have a vac hose going to it iirc, it may have a switch in it though... it is the disable switch and/or vacuum breaker for the cruise control.

The easy way (at least in my mind) on the brake light switch is to splice the connector for the 96 switch into your harness or make an adapter, it should be as easy as finding the right set of pins (there are 3 switches in the 96 switch, some are normally open some are normally closed) and putting quarter inch flag terminals on them. The switch you have stock has two sets of pins in parallel, one goes to the cruise control unit the other goes to the brake lights. The new switch SHOULD have enough switches to run each of those plugs off a separate switch terminal pair but I am not sure, it's been a year since I did that part of the swap.

Thanks Kastein, I thought it maybe for the cruise control, but seeing the 2x plugs on the brake switch confused me somewhat.

So if I replace the 'pedal', how does the cruise control (white switch) function? since the new brake switch is in that spot or do I just forego the cruise?

Guess i better hunt down a plug for the 'new' brake switch

Yours didn't come with? Crap, I'm used to pulling my own parts at the yard and always cut a pigtail to fit when I am doing a swap like that.

You can mount the white switch anywhere it will be actuated the same as it was originally - it doesn't take much force as I recall so almost any mounting method will work.

Yours didn't come with? Crap, I'm used to pulling my own parts at the yard and always cut a pigtail to fit when I am doing a swap like that.

Thanks for the quick reply. How i miss australia - especially crawling up and over cars in the yard. Too much health & safety over here, coupled with sky high land values in london - means very few breakers and zero for jeeps!
Is the switch/plug the same on other years (96-01)?

You can mount the white switch anywhere it will be actuated the same as it was originally - it doesn't take much force as I recall so almost any mounting method will work.
Not sure really how to mount it though, since it is screwed into a hole, any ideas?

I know the plug is the same for 95/96, it's different for 97. Rockauto seems to think it fits as early as a 92, but I'm not sure about that.

Also, it appears to fit various Chrysler sedans of the same era, LHS, New Yorker, etc so you might consider snapping a pic of the business end of the connector, then going to the yard and poking around in some of those for the mating connector.

That white switch is for the torque converter. It unlocks it as the brakes are pressed. And it is adjustable.
Now i'm even more confused:confused1

I did alot of research for this, hence why i chose the '96 as it is "plug & play" apparently. The threads i came across said it was the easiest way to go.

Did i get a manual brake pedal box?
Is there a difference between an auto & manual pedal box?

I really do i appreciate everyone's input. I am just at a massive disadvantage where i am, not being able to 'hunt' in the yards to compare these types of things

Now i'm even more confused:confused1

I did alot of research for this, hence why i chose the '96 as it is "plug & play" apparently. The threads i came across said it was the easiest way to go.

Did i get a manual brake pedal box?
Is there a difference between an auto & manual pedal box?

I really do i appreciate everyone's input. I am just at a massive disadvantage where i am, not being able to 'hunt' in the yards to compare these types of things

The manual box has a clutch pedal.

I'm not sure the white switch is for the torque converter lockup (that sounds "off" to me), but I don't know much about RENIX.

That switch doesn't take much pressure to actuate so if you can find a way to mount it easily with an angle bracket or something, it should work fine.

The manual box has a clutch pedal.
Thanks Monster3663 for the photo. Confirms I definately don't have a manual box

I'm not sure the white switch is for the torque converter lockup (that sounds "off" to me), but I don't know much about RENIX.

That switch doesn't take much pressure to actuate so if you can find a way to mount it easily with an angle bracket or something, it should work fine.

Might be able to mount it below the brake switch i guess (if i put the brake switch into its correct location) with a piece of bracket - good idea Kastein

I'd really like to know what that white switch is for. I always like to keep things simple, hence going for the '96 conversion...but hey i forgot it's a Jeep!!!:)

Back