• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STANDARD TO AUTO

ats1971

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys......i was wondering what is involved with switching from a standard tranny to an auto? I currently have a 96 xj 2door standard. I want to make it an auto. What would i need in detail. Thanks for your help in advance.

Mostly it involves turning in your man card.

I wish there was a way to down vote people on forums sometimes.

Anyway, you need:
AW4 Automatic(With wiring harness)
AW4 Computer with a length of the wiring harness that hooks up to it.
Flex plate
Transmission lines
Transmission cooler(If your radiator does not have provisions for a built in cooler.)
Shifter and cables

The simple way to do this is pretend the AW4 is a manual transmission. Wire up the computer for power and splice it directly into the transmission harness. The AW4 will handle itself very well without being tied to the PCM.
Like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/aw-4-swap-into-97-tj-617416/

The long and factory method way involves swapping the PCM, possibly the engine harness, and some other components.

5spd XJ's are hard to come by; you should have no problem selling yours. You can likely pick up a comparable auto for cheaper because they're so much more plentiful.

with the wiring you need to do to make that auto work, you're gonna spend a lot of time and energy (and money) that could be better sent elsewhere.

5spd XJ's are hard to come by; you should have no problem selling yours. You can likely pick up a comparable auto for cheaper because they're so much more plentiful.

with the wiring you need to do to make that auto work, you're gonna spend a lot of time and energy (and money) that could be better sent elsewhere.

Agreed with this.

If you are super committed to your Jeep...then what Alexia said. :looney:

Back