• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor swap question

copicatt

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, I have searched the forum/ net and can't get a comfortable answer so I am just going to specifically ask.
I have a 1999 xj (cherokee sport) with 4.0 in it (no coils), has distributor.
I have located a 98 GRAND Cherokee with a 4.0 and am wandering if it will be a simple swap?? bad motor btw

I have heard that they started using COPS in 99 or 00.....but mine still has a distributor system.

Just didn't know if there was a difference in the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee Sport.

Thanks for any help!!

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine:
Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and mounting brackets.

XJ: Cherokees 1984-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 1993-98 (Gen1)

this is the entire motor. new water pump, alternator and all. everything is included. trying to keep from having to tear it down to the block....

You may need to swap intake and other misc items but still simple.

ok, upon further observation. the motor I am looking at has the fan directly on the water pump/center of motor......our jeep has the fan mounted directly under the a/c pump? I'm now trying to locate on like that.....unless I can swap the water pump and mount the fan in the correct location for my jeep.

ok, upon further observation. the motor I am looking at has the fan directly on the water pump/center of motor......our jeep has the fan mounted directly under the a/c pump? I'm now trying to locate on like that.....unless I can swap the water pump and mount the fan in the correct location for my jeep.

Your question has been very accurately answered. You're gonna have to swap stuff. It will be as plain as the nose on your face what needs to be done. If this is too much for you, go get the EXACT year engine and do it that way.

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure that the bracketry COULD be swapped from one motor to the next, as in, does the mechanical fan bracketry HAVE a place to mount on the 98 and all that, because I don't want to have to swap the head due to the fact of.... I am not for sure in the condition of my current one.

or I may look for a motor from a cherokee and not a Grand cherokee....from what I have read, the fan is offset on the cherokee and centered on the Grand.

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure that the bracketry COULD be swapped from one motor to the next, as in, does the mechanical fan bracketry HAVE a place to mount on the 98 and all that, because I don't want to have to swap the head due to the fact of.... I am not for sure in the condition of my current one.

or I may look for a motor from a cherokee and not a Grand cherokee....from what I have read, the fan is offset on the cherokee and centered on the Grand.

Thanks again!!

You're good to go. Use all the stuff from your Jeep on the Grand block as needed. You'll be fine. Then all the issues you're concerned about will magically disappear.

so, do you know if the offset fan mount bracket attaches to the head or the block??? I have a good reason to believe the head is bad on this my old motor.

If you can change a motor, you can swap around a few brackets and other stuff as needed or required. If you can't, pay somebody who can.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will magically interchange.

I give up.

Not trying to beat a dead horse. I ask the question because i wanted to make sure the heads were the same....the brackets I understand...just want to make sure my 99 head has the mounting holes for the mechanical fan because I can't swap the head, mine is shot. But I have since found out. Sorry to waste your time....but before I drove 1.5 hours to get this thing and spend the $$$, just wanted to be sure. I do appreciate your input, and wasn't discounting what you said, just had that particular question as not everyone automatically knows this stuff.....After more research, I see that both heads are the same and the fan mount on the 99 is the same bracket as the a/c pump mount (just has a fan clutch on it).

If you can change a motor, you can swap around a few brackets and other stuff as needed or required. If you can't, pay somebody who can.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will magically interchange.

Thanks, will be heading to pick this one up.

Back