• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger power window switch issues.

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
I've had 3 97+ XJs with the same problem (and it's common, from what I've read...).

The driver side power window switch works fine, but frequently, the power window switch on the passenger (and rear) doors don't work at all. I've read this is due to the window lock switch having problems. I found (and saved) instructions on how to fix it from soxja.org (now defunct):

When the passenger windows quit working on '97 to '01 XJs, and the drivers side still works, the problem is the safety lockout switch on the drivers door.

There have been several fixes available but they don't always seem to work and are fairly time consuming to do. The following is a simple method, generally taking less that 15 minutes to complete. As long as the problem is the safety lockout switch, it will work every time.

What you'll need....

1 - 4" length of 16GA wire (any color)
2 - Red splice connectors
Tools to remove the kick panel

Remove the drivers side kick panel. Locate a large white connector with 3 wires, colored yellow, tan and black and disconnect it.

Using the female end of the connector just removed, take the red splice connectors and the 4" length of wire, connect it between the YELLOW and TAN.

Reconnect the connector and push back into the kick panel.

Reassemble the kick panel and you're done.

My current 99 XJ is the first one I've actually pulled the kick panel on to investigate and I found the connector the instructions talk about.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has followed these instructions before, and do they actually work? Also, is there any reason that the connector must be disconnected before splicing the wires together?

(I see that this has been done before here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944234 )

Yes, it works, just follow the instructions.

Here is the wire plug, and the fix.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Good read.

I need to see if my rears won't work too. This may be my fix

finally remembered to check the rear switches. yup, none of them work, but they work fine from the driver door.

time to do a little wiring

thanks

Back