• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp gauge not working.

Tahenry88

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced the temp sensor that's by the intake and I replaced the cluster. It still doesn't function. Any other ideas? Idk what else could cause it?

Year? Engine?

If we ASS_U_ME it is an 88, and maybe a 4.0, then the temp gauge sensor is in the head near the firewall, driver's side.

It is a single wire sensor, so ground the connector and the gauge should max out with the key on. If it doesn't, then test that wire from the connector all the way to the instrument cluster--if it is good, then the cluster is bad.

Note that there are TWO sending units--one for an idiot light and one for a gauge. The idiot light sender is an on/off type, the gauge sender is a variable resistance unit.

Last edited:
Both sensor can be though of as being by the intake. On your 96 there is a CTS that's on the thermo housing sends signal to engine computer. Then there is the temp switch that goes on the back of the head on driver side that sends signal to temp gauge in car. Make sure you get the correct switch as there is one for the idiot light and one for the actual gauge. Good luck!

Check your connections. I had a similar proble with a temp guage recently in my 96. The previous owner cracked the head and let it sit for a year under a tree before replacing the head so his sos could drive it to and from work. The probe has a spade type connecter that plugs into it. After sitting so long in the weather, some corrosion stated to build up in a lot of wierd places. I replaced the male spade ( cut the wire, put some electric grease inside the new boot, put the wire in and crimp), cleaned out the female end of the probe with some electric cleaner. Works perfectly now. I always like to start with the free/easy stuff. ALSO, I can't remember if that probe is suppose to be instaled with teflon or not. Some sensors are self grounding, if so the teflon will not let it ground???

Single wire senders/sensors ground through the body and can have problems with non-conductive thread sealers.

joe_peteres,

Help me with this,

How do you tell if a sensor grounds through the threads???? ANY single wire????

Yes.

Back