• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Trans. Oil Cooler?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
After searching I've come down to deciding between 2 trans coolers to replace my stock one and bypass the radiator heat exchanger:

1. B&M http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/70268/10002/-1?parentProductId=758370

2. Hayden http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-678-Rapid-Cool-Transmission/dp/B000C3DDKO

I like the bypass feature on the B&M since I'm deleting the radiator part.
I also am curious about the "Flow Path Design" they boast about but also can't find jack on it's BTU rating.

Which would ya'll go with living in the NW?

Last edited:
Well, I have a "thing" for B&M, and that would be my first choice. And, when a company DOESN'T make it easy to find info--like the BTU rating--it is indicative that they don't want you to know what it is rated at. Is Hayden hiding something? PS--checked Hayden's website, forget finding any info there.

Doesn't it say the B&M has a 13,000 BTU rating on the Jegs site?

I have the same cooler and it seems very well built.

I have on the cherokee this one: tru cool LPD49211 rated 30k gvw. There is a chart online, I think on the true cool website, that also gives the btu rating.

If you really want the mother of all coolers, get this: tru cool LPD4739 - rated for 40k gvw.

I use both of those tru cool, the cherokee one, LPD49211, keeps the temps to no more than 170, usually I see in between 150-170(170 is the highest I saw, I believe it was over 100 outside and I was going 1st and 2nd gear.for a very long time) summer 90-100 weather. They are made of aluminum and have an intelligent flow, maximizing flow and cooling as oil gets warmer.

That's not to say B&M are not a good choice, those guys have very good quality products. I chose tru cool since I got a good deal on one of the coolers, then seeing how good it is I was sold on them, lol.

I just picked up an OEM '99 Land Cruiser cooler. This thing is BEEFY and well designed. Almost like a small radiator. Tubes on the ends with stacked plates in the middle. Already set up for soft line and clamps on the connections too. I'll get some install pics later, but it looks like a supreme candidate. Just another option to keep in mind. Cost me $40 shipped.

photo_zps21ca7004.jpg

I;m running the B&M, no complaints here. Fit nicely between grille and radiator, and the grille inserts dont rub. Can post a pic if u want

A lot of guys use Explorer tranny coolers also. Got mine for $10 at the salvage yard.

Ended up going with the B&M 70268.
Pulled the front clip and used the old trans cooler's bolts to hold the new cooler's brackets on top under the flashing. Just low profile enough to fit under it perfectly.

Pics are always a good idea (at least to me... ha)

I'm planning adding a new transmission cooler to my 2001 in the next couple of weeks... so I always like reading thru these threads.

I'm putting a BIG Earls cooler in mine in the next few weeks. I have it left over from my bike days, it was going to be used on a first gen GSXR project. The bitch was getting the -8AN male fittings down to 3/8" but I found the adapters to do it. Next is how to mount it in front of the rad. It fits there...just barely :)

Ended up going with the B&M 70268.
Pulled the front clip and used the old trans cooler's bolts to hold the new cooler's brackets on top under the flashing. Just low profile enough to fit under it perfectly.

Nice. What year is your Rig? I'm planning on installing the B&M Supercooler as well on my '01, but haven't decided on which one. I've been thinking about trying the 70264 but not sure it'll clear the front grill since it's thicker than the 70268 (my other choice)

How tight a fit was the 70268 on your XJ?

Back