• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats a bad 231 sound like?

Rusty98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi fellow jeepers, I'm trying to track down a horrid noise which I believe might be in my Tcase. My jeep is a 98 with the 4.0/aw4/np231/d35. With 4.5 inch lift Basically at lower speeds (especially when off gas) sounds like Marbles rollling around and a rattling noise with vibration. Doesnt happen much at all on the highway. I already replaced wheelbearings, tranny and motor mounts and ujoints. Have driven without the front driveshaft and axle shafts in the d30 but still makes noise. Took the rear shaft out today and drove in 4x4, same noise. Any ideas?:doh:

Sounds like a stretched chain in the tcase. If you catch it early enough, a new chain is all you need.

If you grab the T-case shifter and hold it--any difference?

Its been doing this noise for the past 10,000 miles.... Too long to just need a chain? If i pull the shift lever up a little some noise goes away, but i know its definitely more than shot shift bushings

Its been doing this noise for the past 10,000 miles.... Too long to just need a chain? If i pull the shift lever up a little some noise goes away, but i know its definitely more than shot shift bushings

Well, that was an issue--there is a fix--but maybe you have more than one thing going on. Kit is 5014148AA for $13.99 at Morris 4x4, if you want to give that a try.

Back